Aluminum Rub Rails need help

footloose

RO Number
1988 Florida boat - 40 footer has anodized aluminum rub rails that look bad - very oxidized and dull, look almost like they were urethaned a decade a go.... fugly.

It would take the removal of 100 screws to get them off the boat but it is an option....perhaps farm them out to someone with a buffing wheel and expertise I dont have or perhaps get them dipped and re-anodized if that is a thing.

Otherwise - what do we recommend I do to them on the boat? Easy Off oven cleaner to strip em and them sand/buff/polish?

Thanks!

Foot

One of the issues that you will have to deal with is removal of the Anodize protective layer and subsequent bare Aluminum underneath.
Only a marine grade of Aluminum (5000 series) are "safe" for unprotected use in salt water.
The Anodize surface is an artificially oxidized conversion coating performed with sulphuric or chromic acid with a sealer on top. This anodized layer typically penetrates the same depth as it overlays. The phrase is ".001 in and .001 on".

The anodize may be colored or clear. Polish or wax will not protect the aluminum from cracking from the salt water. Similar to an old brass bell, once you remove the clear lacquer you will be polishing for life.
I would ask around to see if there is a local Anodizer that can handle the length before I removed them from the boat.

Back