Automatic Boat Cover

kellyr66

Member
Joined
Jul 3, 2005
RO Number
18115
Messages
14
Does anybody have any opinions about this boat cover? http://www.automatic-boat-cover.com/

We have a boathouse with a roof and boat lift. I worry about sun damage on the hull since the starboard side gets sun all morning and the port gets it in the afternoon. The back gets sun all day. The last boat I had in the lift had a navy blue hull that ended up fading to baby blue within 5 years being in the lift. (Don't worry it was an old boat that had been in dry stack for 10 years before that. It is now somewhere in Denmark)

Anyway, now I have a new 25' cruiser and I want it to stay looking new. I thought about hanging tarps around the boat house but my wife hates that idea and says it'll look "ugly". I don't disagree.

I got an estimate for this automatic boat cover. My length overall is around 30' (counting the anchor hanging off the front). The estimate for the cover that hangs down 7' is $6500. For a cover that hangs down 5' is $5500 (I would have to fold the bimini top all the way down and if I ever got a similar sized boat with a radar arch then 5' wouldn't cover the sides)
The cover would also help keep the topside clean. Right now, I clean the boat when I get back from a trip but my the next weekend the topside is covered in pollen & dirt again. I have a cockpit cover which at least keeps the cockpit area clean.

I'm I nuts for considering such an expensive cover? If only I was smart enough to construct one on my own.
 
Back
Top