best company for rebuilt VP outdrives

ddurand

RO Number
Looks like I may to replace the upper section of the drive. What company does the best rebuilds?

https://www.jasperengines.com/sterndrives "JASPER remanufactured sterndrives are available for such models as the Mercruiser MC-1, R, MR, Alpha I, Alpha I Generation II, Bravo I, Bravo II and Bravo III; the OMC Cobra and Cobra SX; and the Volvo Penta SX and SX/DP."

One of the best is All American Drive Services in Michigan. You can Google it as If I remember correctly I am not supposed to post links. He rebuilt my Bravo XR and gives a two year warranty which is a year longer then a new one from Merc. I was just at the web site and Volvo is listed. He also sells remanufactured. Good guys and the high performance guys swear by him.

Good luck,

Padraig

quote:

Originally posted by Padraig

One of the best is All American Drive Services in Michigan. You can Google it as If I remember correctly I am not supposed to post links. He rebuilt my Bravo XR and gives a two year warranty which is a year longer then a new one from Merc. I was just at the web site and Volvo is listed. He also sells remanufactured. Good guys and the high performance guys swear by him.

Good luck,

Padraig

So they rebuild vs selling you a rebuilt?

I have yet to talk to American Drive Service. Hard to get in contact with.

But today I talked to a guy at another outdrive rebuilding shop. Very knowledgeable. He said the whole outdrive should be replaced if teeth broke off one of the gears in the upper housing. Or the lower housing should be thoroughly disassembled and cleaned. The shop wants to just flush the lower housing.

The guy said if a gear in the upper housing was damaged, then someone banged it into gear without letting the engine get back to idle.

The rebuilt outdrive is slightly less than a new upper housing from Volvo Penta.

All American Drive, I believe will sell rebuilt or will rebuild yours. Leave a message, George, the owner will call you back, sometimes in the evening. It is a good size shop but but concentrate at building drives not office stuff. I have heard he is very busy.

Padraig

quote:

Originally posted by Padraig

All American Drive, I believe will sell rebuilt or will rebuild yours. Leave a message, George, the owner will call you back, sometimes in the evening. It is a good size shop but but concentrate at building drives not office stuff. I have heard he is very busy.

Padraig

I finally talked to All American Drive and he was very helpful and knowledgeable. One thing that he was very clear on is that the lower section cannot be just flushed. It must be takes apart, cleaned and all parts checked.

Well I have gone around on the best path forward. I think the local dealer has a lot of other work to do before spring and would charge more to repair the upper drive than All American Drive will charge to rebuild the entire drive and provide a warranty. The local dealer seem happy to strap the drive to a pallet. All American Drive may also suggest to repair the drive. I have gotten various opinions about how much of the chewed up gear (that gets ground up into tiny pieces) would float around in the entire drive vs being caught by a screen between the upper and lower drive. I intend to follow the recommendation of All American Drive as to how much work to have done.

The bill from All American Drive is $6200. That is for a complete rebuild with all new gears and bearings and 2 year warranty. I could save $1500 by just getting it repaired but then a 1 year warranty. All VP OEM parts. A new VP drive is over $12000.

Back