Boat Explosion Lake Lanier

GeeBee

RO Number
Just out on the lake. Saw a large black smoke plume started heading that way because I recognize a fuel fire when I see it. Chatter on the radio was way up and when I heard TowBoatUS on scene and I understood first responders on scene I aborted and headed back. Turns out a 40 foot or so Carver blew up at the gas dock Margaritaville (Lake Lanier Islands gas dock). Press reporting 2 teens life flighted to Grady with severe burns, another adult taken by ambulance. Explosion also caught a PWC on fire which then drifted and caught another dock on fire. According to other reports the smell of gasoline was strong, and the skipper warned, but he started up anyway. I have no way to confirm that other than social media reports.

Sad to hear. You have to be careful with these gas boats. Too many don’t have fume detectors in the bilges.

A 35 footer blew up here a couple of days while being worked on by the owner on a mooring. He was blown in the water but made it.

I swear of all the places I have lived and boated Lake Lanier seems to get more of these.

The biggest problem on Lanier is rental boats. Since you left Bill, a giant marina called "Port Royale" went in on Brown's Bridge not far from the Bridge. They have over 300 hundred rental vessels and while everyone is "supposed to pass a test" to get possession you see a lot of stupid people who either forgot the test lessons or don't care. Just yesterday, we had two dive off a rental into the open lake, boat not anchored. The boat drifted and they could not catch up. No PFDs they tired out chasing the boat and drowned.

I swear, I spend too much time pulling rental people's fat out of the fire. Today after aborting, I encountered a rental houseboat on Young Deer Creek adrift while people were swimming off of it. The problem was they were right at the choke point on Young Deer near that huge house. It is limited navigation there due to depth and they are right in the middle of it. Boats are whizzing all around them. I stopped and politely suggested they might want to move over to the adjacent cove to swim. I told them, it gets pretty busy through here and you really don't want to be "playing on the freeway". I also related the drowning yesterday and that they should really anchor the boat. They took my suggestion and moved over to the cove.

As for this case, I showed the grandkids the video and said, "This is why Grandpa makes you get off the boat during fueling." Some lessons are hard learned.

If you think it is confined to Lake Lanier......November Charlie, you retired too soon!

Saw that story yesterday. Reminded me of the goons on a cobbled together raft with a little electric trolling motor heading right past the spit in Gold Beach! They insisted they’d be fine - tried to tell them they absolutely without any shadow of a doubt will not be. Lightbulb finally turned on for one of them when they realized their little Fisher-Price toy motor wasn’t even slowing them down, and a big series came over the bar.

Not checking the bilge happens everywhere I have ever gassed up. Even the kids manning the gas docks don't get it. I put a fume detector in my boat years ago, and check the fuel hoses every season, using a mirror and flashlight. Next boat will be outboard partly because of this reason.

Saw that story yesterday. Reminded me of the goons on a cobbled together raft with a little electric trolling motor heading right past the spit in Gold Beach! They insisted they’d be fine - tried to tell them they absolutely without any shadow of a doubt will not be. Lightbulb finally turned on for one of them when they realized their little Fisher-Price toy motor wasn’t even slowing them down, and a big series came over the bar.
Now that's a can of crazy. My father lived in Gold Beach, I've been there many times. That bar is something!

For those who are not familiar, the locals make watching boat come across the bar their local pastime and sport.

As a savior of an explosion this is something that needs to be beaten in to boaters heads!
I have been around boat most of my life and still made a mistake that could have cost me my life.
We get desensitized to the smell of fuel very quickly and it is easy to think the smell has been vented and cleared the only way to know for sure is to walk a way get fresh air and return if you still don't smell anything you should be clear but if you even smell a hint of fuel seek help and dont try anything electrical!

Another explosion and fire on Lanier yesterday at Holiday Marina. We have a LOT of inexperienced people out there as a result of the pandemic. Also seeing poor management of the fuel docks due to labor shortages.

Last year I upgraded by Silverton 41C's fume detectors. Even though they are new I still always go down into the bilge after fueling and before starting.

Last year I upgraded by Silverton 41C's fume detectors. Even though they are new I still always go down into the bilge after fueling and before starting.
Do you have diesel engines?

Good new! Taylor went home from the hospital yesterday! From the sounds of things it was touch and go for a while.

Back