Buddy Boat

Roy

RO Number
Is there a reasonably convenient way of finding a buddy boat for a gulf stream crossing to the Bahamas? Perhaps some sort of on line site?

Thanks..........Roy

Too be perfectly honest I ve never quite understood the concept of a buddy boat. If you re not sure your boat can make it then don't go. If you go make sure you the basic spare and safety equipment

If you end up having a problem a buddy boat won't be able to do much unless you have a good tow line and conditions are calm enough. Towing a boat in open waters is not an easy job... I ve done it. Even just stopping to assist can be dangerous because of rolling motion when th proverbial you know what hit the fan

Prepare, pick the right weather window, have the right gear and enjoy

Well if you hit something, the boat sinks and you're bobbing in the water with your PFD. Even if you've activated your EPIRB, it's nice to have someone a few minutes away to come get you.

Pascal, I think Roy is right, never a bad idea to have help around.

quote:

Originally posted by PascalG

Too be perfectly honest I ve never quite understood the concept of a buddy boat.

This from a guy who's small boat is a 53 footer and normally runs 70 ft :)

Makes sense to me. If having someone with you makes you feel more comfortable, why not?
Jim

Doesnt matter the size.... hit something and you will sink. Avtually a smaller biat with outboards or even stern drive has better chanve of surviving an impact vs rippimg out a 3" shaft

My poiint was that while a buddy boat can be nice, it s no replacement for maintenance , spares and prep.

My thanks to all for that discussion, but now back to the original question. Anybody know an easy way of finding a buddy boat?

Thanks....Roy

You could try the active captain facebook page or the bahamas cruising FB page.

The THT forum may also have enough traffic to generate responses

Back