Bunk Trailer vs Roller Trailer

Power loading does not require high throttle slam to the stand. Down here our boat ramps can be very crowded and many have a stiff current running. Powering onto and up the trailer to where your boat "sticks" is often the most courteous, fastest, and safest, way to clear the ramp for the next person. This is especially true when solo loading. I have almost always power loaded to the point I know my boat will stay in place while I exit and hook up the winch strap, turn the few cranks to get it to the bow stand stop and hook up my safety line. Hell even when I have others with me it is rare that I let anyone else secure the boat to the trailer. I drive the boat onto the trailer, make a quick throttle up just a bit to stick the boat usually within a foot or two of the stand, then I'm out and hooking up.

Years ago I had the luck to be waiting for the ramp to clear while a bass fishing guy with a very high dollar new Ranger was loading. He idled up to the trailer, got the boat started onto it, trimmed his huge outboard, them slammed his throttle to the wall standing the Ranger on its 'butt', cut throttle and dropped about half the boat in the bed of his new pickup. Probably not his best day....

Years ago I had the luck to be waiting for the ramp to clear while a bass fishing guy with a very high dollar new Ranger was loading. He idled up to the trailer, got the boat started onto it, trimmed his huge outboard, them slammed his throttle to the wall standing the Ranger on its 'butt', cut throttle and dropped about half the boat in the bed of his new pickup. Probably not his best day....
It's hard to screw up winching the boat onto a roller trailer. Power loading, on the other hand is fun to watch from the safety of another dock or dry land.

It's hard to screw up winching the boat onto a roller trailer. Power loading, on the other hand is fun to watch from the safety of another dock or dry land.
Not exactly true. I watched a guy wanting to 'change' something accidently release his winch stop and have his rig slide back and the winch handle slapped his face breaking a jaw and some teeth. Not to mention slips and falls, pinched "parts", and other things that cause one to say ouch. Never underestimate the ability of the human animal to really screw up most anything. It's why we have "signs" telling us not to drink battery fluid, no horse in the motel pool, the coffee is served hot, etc.

Not exactly true. I watched a guy wanting to 'change' something accidently release his winch stop and have his rig slide back and the winch handle slapped his face breaking a jaw and some teeth. Not to mention slips and falls, pinched "parts", and other things that cause one to say ouch. Never underestimate the ability of the human animal to really screw up most anything. It's why we have "signs" telling us not to drink battery fluid, no horse in the motel pool, the coffee is served hot, etc.
I've seen more than a few injuries from out of control winch handles on boat trailers. More common than many would think.

It depends on your local conditions, if you have good ramps that are steep, the bunk will work fine, if you have lousy ramps that are shallow it won't unless you are at high tide. We have 6-7 foot tide swings, so when I launched my brother's new boat with the bunk trailer I took it to the town dock with the steep ramp at high tide. I would not try to launch it at my local beach assn ramp because its too shallow. You'd have to put your vehicle tires in salt water to get the boat off. There my roller trailer works fine. I plan to stick with rollers for any future boats I might have and the majority of trailers here are rollers.

Always had bunks, no issues. If they are spaced properly no big deal. Had a bunk trailer under my 24’ Thompson hardtop and it was no problem getting that 6500 lb boat trailered.

Hey Tim, at least FB can't reach you in here,,,

Back