Cable oiler

OLD HOUSEBOATER

oiler.jpg

Once in a while a request comes up for information on how to lubricate control cables.

You need a foot and a half of 3/8 ID reinforced plastic hose from Lowes, a tire valve, three hose clamps, a tire pump or small 12 volt air compressor with a gage, and MMO.

Shave the tire valve down and clamp it in one end of the hose.

1. Remove the fittings from one end of the cable.

2. Put 3 inches of Marvel Mystery Oil in the hose for every 20 feet of cable length.

3. Double clamp oil filled hose over cable.

4. Apply and maintain 50 PSI of air to the tire chuck. DO NOT EXCEED 50 PSI.

5. It will take 10 to 30 minutes for oil to appear at the other end. then your done. Have rags to catch the oil if your in a sensitive area.

I suggest safety glasses just in case somethings blows apart, but I have never had a problem. My save rate on cables is about 75%. I did all my cables every 2 years as PM but I was not on salt water.

hooks

exMember
Nice set up Houseboater. I'm gonna copy and paste that for later. Thanks for the post..

jtybt15

That'll work!!! I've had to make a few cable oiler/greasers. I turned the brass tube, at the end of one cable, in the shape of a zerk fitting so it fit a grease gun. Another one I soldered a zerk fitting to a brass tube that fit a cable. The last one I just got a tube that fit both the outdrive oil pump and the cable and pumped the high performance outdrive oil into the cable.

Cables are expensive so if you do as OHB does and grease/oil them, they can last almost indefinately.

Bay2260

I like that! That's way better than anything I've tried yet!

Thanks,
Pete

KiDa

quote:

Originally posted by OLD HOUSEBOATER

OHB:

Do you have pix of this setup? I think I know what you are talking about, but I am a visual person by nature.

TIA

bkap

exMember
I need to try this before deciding to replace shift cables.

Does it matter which end you start with? By the transmision? By the shift lever?

What issues would there be with dual stations?

Thanks.

OLD HOUSEBOATER

What ever is easiest. Put a rag on the other end to catch drips. Let us know how you make out.

I always did the uppers first as they have more exposure to the weather.

KiDa

quote:

Originally posted by OLD HOUSEBOATER

Picture is at the top of the post. It's the assembly under the MMO

Sorry shipmate. I just found out that PhotoBucket (and the like) have been blocked at work.

Hystat

They used to sell an aerosol version of this in motorcycle shops for brake and shifter cables, but I haven't seen them for years - this is handy - thanks!

jimraab

Do you guys think this process might free up a frozen steering cable on on my 2005 Seadoo GTX? The Seadoo is only 2 years old and happen to just lock up while sitting unused for about 5 months in my garage.

Thanks!

OLD HOUSEBOATER

Might work BUT since this is a steering cable I'd suggest you spring for a new one. Keep us informed.

jimraab

I won't hesitate to replace it if necessary. I can't believe this cable is $140.00. My cables on my Carver boat are less than half the cost of the much shorter Seadoo cable. The margin on this thing must be 1000%.

Thanks!

b_fuss

OHB, to do this. Would I just pull the shifter housing and disconnect the "shift and throttle" cable then attach the oil kit assembly?? Thanks I have been wondering how to do this my cable are a couple years old and getting a little stiff.