Carver 356 stuffing box/shaft seals

Carvervirgin

RO Number
Happy Spring,,
One thing that I have never checked, serviced or know a damn thing about, is the shaft seals on my 2001 356. Do any of my Carver compadres know what kind of stuffing box or shaft seals are in this model and where do I start to make sure all is well. I do get some water in my aft bilge so I'm thinking it is coming from this source. Boat is still wrapped but trying to get my to do list set for commissioning. Thanks

You never know what changes have been made, We will need PIX to answer.
Water can come from many sources so try to find where it comes from before assuming the shafts.

Hey,
Carvers in that vintage were made with dripless shaft seals. Meaning they run a little hose from the cooling system on the engines to a fitting around the shaft, supplying water to cool the seal. These can fail so I hear, you have to watch the shaft turning while you slow cruise to see if any water drips out around the seal, if it does there is a replaceable seal on it.
My Carver often had water in the bilge, I think it was coming from the forward bilge, it seemed to be designed to send the water from forward to aft. Never really determined the source.
On my Silverton I get some water in the bilge from windlass opening.
I will be at the marina Saturday finally getting started, maybe I will see you there.

Thanks James! I was going to ask you directly but I know how much you have going on each Spring. I'll try to get my head down in the bilge and figure it out. Won't be there tomorrow but hoping to get started soon. Hope all is well.

Back