Chrysler 318 Bogging down

drfeno

RO Number
Hello, I have a 1981 Silverton 31c with Chrysler 318's. We boat out of Chester CT, and last week we went to Block Island with a bunch of other boaters from our club. The boat has run great this year. On our way out, literally 5 minutes from the slip, the starboard motor started to bog down it went from about 3000 to about 2100 or so for a few seconds and then came back. It happened again about 2 minutes later. It didn't happen again all the way to Block Island (3 hours or so). While I was there, I checked my starboard anti-siphon valve, which had been clogged a few years ago. the valve was clear of debris. On the way home, as we idled away from our raft up, about 300 yards away, the starboard engine just stalled. It restarted fine, and it ran fine for about the next hour. On the final 2 hours of the ride home, it bogged down many times. I had to run at a slower speed in order to minimize it.

Looking at posts on similar issues and talking to some people at the club, they seemed to think it might be electrical. In my research, it seems an ignition coil that's failing can behave like that.

I went down a couple days later and swapped the coil. the old one was leaking oil, not profusely, but leaking. I won't have a chance to test it until next weekend, and since its pretty intermittent, it may not happen at all.

Has anyone had a similar experience with a coil on one of these motors?

When my anti-siphon valve was causing the same type of issues it looked clean. Never noticed any debris but the problems went away after I replaced it.

Check the fuel filter.

What type ignition? points??

It has an electronic ignition. Cap and rotor look good.

I would initially think fuel as well, but I put on 2 new fuel pumps last season and went through the system from anti-siphon valve right through to the carb inlets. Each motor has a water separator and an in line filter between the fuel pump and the carb. I doubt that a fuel problem could be this intermittent.

I'll probably take it out this weekend, and if it happens again, it wasn't the coil. I'll make sure to post the results.

I just wanted to follow up after taking the boat out this weekend. We didn't go far, about an hour of run time, but the motor ran fine with no sign of the bogging issue. Does that mean the coil was definitely to blame, no, but it sure seems so. also, I discarded the old coil, and when I did, I tipped it over and about 1/4 ounce of oil came out of the center connection. Also, I ran one way with the fuel crossover open, and the other way with it closed, and it ran the same both ways. This would seem to eliminate the anti siphon valve in this case.

Thanks

Dave

No way to know for sure but there is usually only one problem. Clearly the coil had failed in some way so it is the likely culprit.

Back