Clogged holding tank???

I not sure that scaring the crap out of you is the answer! Ya may want to direct what you have been reading to the tank!
quote:

Originally posted by mchad

Oh boy. This, and what I have been reading on the interweb is really scaring the crap out of me. I think maybe if a snake doesn't work, then letting a professional handle it may be the way to go.

I just have a thing about potentially being coated in someone elses crap...

quote:

Originally posted by Larry B

I not sure that scaring the crap out of you is the answer! Ya may want to direct what you have been reading to the tank!
quote:

Oh boy. This, and what I have been reading on the interweb is really scaring the crap out of me. I think maybe if a snake doesn't work, then letting a professional handle it may be the way to go.

Larry are you trying to be a comedian? Keep your day job. The guy has been getting some good advice.
Bill

Yes he is getting good advice! Since I can't top I thought my observation would be fun.I don't have a day job!

quote:

Haven't tried a snake/auger yet, planning on buying one this week for a try on Friday.

Just remember, you have plastic or rubber hose, not the metal or rigid plastic pipes the plumber's snake are intended for. You could damage the hose pretty easily if there are sharp points on the hose.

quote:

There's not really any difference between someone else's crap and your own crap. ;)

Seriously, plumbers go through this all the time. You'll live through it.

Good deal Larry I guess? I still say try the boiling water it really helped clear clogs I had when I used to use a VacuFlush. Now with the new Elegance Head haven't had clogging problems. I did some minor replumbing of my sanitation hoses last weekend and I was surprised at the lack of stench. The Odorless seems to be working well. But boy did I cut up my hands around all the stainless clamps and hard to remove hoses. I ended up just putting a razor knife slice in the hose and removing them and then installed new hoses using soap and a heat gun. They sure seem to go on easier than they come off! I have always had a problem with the pumpout boat in Little Egg not being able to draw from my waste tank yet most pumpout stations work. I think I found the problem so I'll know this weekend when I hail them and we try. It was a cracked Y valve (internal) the valve went from the output of the tank to the deck waste fitting or the pump for the PuraSan Hold-N-Treat. I was also able to shorten up the hose to the deck fitting by 2 feet.
Bill

I thought I dodged this bullet, but I guess not.

After a couple of tries with a snake, spraying water, cycling the pump out valve on and off, I got a nice wooosh of pumping out (fast, like it should). I then put the garden hose in and it took a minute of freshwater. Pumped out with a wooosh again, and filled again. Third time was the charm, as it started pumping fast when "clunk", it then slowed to a drip. There must be something in there.

I left it, used it a few times, and last week the pump out boat came by and pumped again. This time it was coming out with only about 1/4 of the capacity of the 1 1/2" hose (visable through the clear inspection section of the pump out fitting). Ok, still pumping out, slowly, but it's evacuating the tank. So I pumped for 10 min and figured that was enough to get me through the weekend.

Now, Friday, I go to pump out again, and nothing comes out. The pump out is pumping, but nothing it coming out. There is no suction at the vent (which I confirmed is clear) and the pump out created such a vacuum, that when I shut the valve, I literally had to pry the hose off, hearing the air suck in the hose.

There has to be something in there that is creating the blockage. I think it is either in the hose, or right at the fitting in the tank.

So I guess I am at the point of just saying "F" it, and changing the tank out (and the 4' of hose going to the deck fitting). For a couple of reasons. First, obviously is the clog. Next, the tank is aluminium, which I understand will eventually corrode. And last, the tank has no level indicator.

So my question is, which is the best brand holding tank (this is a small tank, only 18 gallons) and how do I ensure the fittings locations match the existing tank? Can they be ordered to my specs?

Thanks for the ongoing help with this crap (pun intended)

You should be able to pull off the hose on the tank and be able to see what is going on at least I can on my boat. Seems a little extreme to pull the tank. Yess a messy job but what choice do you have.
Al

quote:

There has to be something in there that is creating the blockage. I think it is either in the hose, or right at the fitting in the tank.

So I guess I am at the point of just saying "F" it, and changing the tank out (and the 4' of hose going to the deck fitting). For a couple of reasons. First, obviously is the clog. Next, the tank is aluminium, which I understand will eventually corrode. And last, the tank has no level indicator.

So my question is, which is the best brand holding tank (this is a small tank, only 18 gallons) and how do I ensure the fittings locations match the existing tank? Can they be ordered to my specs?

If you think there is something in the tank that sometimes clogs the outlet (think a piece of an old joker valve or just a solid that someone flushed), you can cut a hole in the top of the tank for an access plate (I did this to my plastic tank) and look or feel for what's clogging the outlet.

I understand aluminum holding tanks are problematic anyway because of urine.

For a replacement, do a web search on "holding tank" and you'll find lots of sources. Get a plastic tank. You should be able to find one to fit.

Google ronco-plastics. All their tanks are at least 3/8" thick & you specify exactly where you want the fittings & what size. I would recommend you
redo your set up. Fill, vent & PUMP OUT from the top of the tank. If you have room, put in an inspection port. If you have room, put in two standpipes
to pump out from the top. One to a vented loop & then to a thru hull. The other one to the deck pump out. Use a keyed switch to operate a diaphragm pump to the thru hull. That way no wye-valve is needed.
Al

P.S. Look carefully at your options & see if you can squeeze in a larger tank.

quote:

Originally posted by lobsta1

Google ronco-plastics. All their tanks are at least 3/8" thick & you specify exactly where you want the fittings & what size. I would recommend you
redo your set up. Fill, vent & PUMP OUT from the top of the tank. If you have room, put in an inspection port. If you have room, put in two standpipes
to pump out from the top. One to a vented loop & then to a thru hull. The other one to the deck pump out. Use a keyed switch to operate a diaphragm pump to the thru hull. That way no wye-valve is needed.
Al

P.S. Look carefully at your options & see if you can squeeze in a larger tank.

So for the pump out fitting at the top, they install a dip tube or something?

quote:

So for the pump out fitting at the top, they install a dip tube or something?

Well, yes. Otherwise you would have to turn the tank upside down to empty it.

As to putting the fittings on the top vs. end or side, you have to look at available space. If you have to get a tank that's two inches shorter to accomodate top fittings, you might want to consider end fittings so you don't give up capacity.

I have to take accurate measurements, but I believe I will be able to actually add a couple of gallons capacity. I know I have at least 6" of clearance on the top, and about 4" of clearance on the aft end of the tank. I do like the idea of top mounted fill, vent and discharge fittings, meaning no leaky fittings to ever worry about putting gallons of fun in my bilge. I checked ronco plastics, and for a 20 gallon tank, with the standpipe (as they call it) and a 6" inspection plate, it'll be around $300. Plus I imagine a fortune for freight. Oh well.

No one ever said boating was cheap...

quote:

I have to take accurate measurements, but I believe I will be able to actually add a couple of gallons capacity. I know I have at least 6" of clearance on the top, and about 4" of clearance on the aft end of the tank. I do like the idea of top mounted fill, vent and discharge fittings, meaning no leaky fittings to ever worry about putting gallons of fun in my bilge. I checked ronco plastics, and for a 20 gallon tank, with the standpipe (as they call it) and a 6" inspection plate, it'll be around $300. Plus I imagine a fortune for freight. Oh well.

No one ever said boating was cheap...

Just a follow up on this. Finally got the guts up to open up the tank and see what was going on... Turns out that the tank has a mechanical level gauge on it (which we used as an access point) which as it turned out, had a plastic float which detached and got stuck in the fitting to the pump out hose! A little negotiation, and out it came. Problem solved!

I'll still probably change the tank out over the winter, but for now, It's good to go.

Thanks for al the advice!

And Thank YOU for the follow-up.

One of the nice things about this forum is that everyone has the opportunity to learn something, not just "git 'er fixed".

Glad to hear the problem is properly diagnosed and tat the solution is "workable".

quote:

[br........... A little negotiation, and out it came. Problem solved!

I'll still probably change the tank out over the winter, but for now, It's good to go.

Thanks for al the advice!

Great that it's fixed and we all know the outcome.

No good reason to change the tank now.

Old thread...still helpful. Had the same issue. Crownline 242 with discharge sanitation hose clogged. I tried backflushing with hose, but could not get enough pressure. Tried snaking, could not clear the 90 degree elbow at the tank. Tried toilet plunger, no go.

Was ready to take the tank side hose connection off until I saw this thread. Opened tank at the gauge and the float was missing. Tried a coat hanger and one of those long flex claw pickup tools, but could not free anything.

I got brave and went to WM and got something similar to this.

Amc-53701-0812-1-2-X-3-4-White-Nylon-Hose-Barb-Fittings-732bb357-8e72-48f4-a50f-45e295534e25_600.jpg

I screwed it into the waste port and hooked it up to a hose then cycled the hose bib on and off a few times. I finally heard some sort of noise down by the tank, took a look and found that is was not the sanitation hose breaking or popping off the fitting at the tank so I figured I had freed the clog. Took the nipple off the waste port and disconnected the hose then inserted the hose into the waste port , turned the water on and the water went into the tank instead of puking back out. Went to pump out and worked fine

In the end, not I am not exactly sure if the clog was the gauge float or some other debris. I still have not been able to spot and/or recover the float from the holding tank. I am going to leave this as a spring project.

Also I was lucky not to take the hose off at the tank as the holding tank was still 1/3 full

My port tuned out to be 1.5 inch NPT. The nipple with the garden hose connection was 1.25 inch. I had to get a 1.5 inch male, 1.25 inch female adaptor to get it to work

Back