Coming through the Locks around May 31st

bob richards

exMember
RO Number
Where should I stay for a day or two? I have a couple of resorts on Captiva but how about spots?

Are you looking for anchorage spots? How far north you willing to run? How far south?

Either a nice spot to anchor or a nice resort with a nice marina. Plan on no more than 2 nights and then back across.

On your way across:

Roland Martin's in Clewiston.

Indiantown Marina in Indiantown.

Port St. Lucie Lock Marina and Campground.

On the West coast.

Ft. Myers city marina.

'tween Waters.

Cabbage Key.

Boca Granda.

There are lots of anchorages. In front of or behind Useppa island. Punta Blanco and Pelican Bay anchorage at Cayo Costa state park on Cayo Costa island.

Go to Active Captain to check out all the different spots available.

At Ft Myers you cn visit the Edison and Ford museums. well worth a visit. They are next to the RPYC if you are a FCYC club member

Thanks guys, We read about Cayp Costa, it is suppose to be really nice. Has anyone stayed at the South Sea Resort?

I have friends that have stayed there and liked it alot. I've not been. They have caviar budgets and mine is generic peanut butter...

I second the Cayo Costa/Pelican Bay what a wonderful achorage! and a short dink ride around the corner to Cabbage Key.

Thanks Paul, I will leave the short dink comment alone even though you made it so easy:) For one or two nights I could afford it as I won't get another vacation this year. Working on a big project.

quote:

Originally posted by bob richards

Thanks guys, We read about Cayp Costa, it is suppose to be really nice. Has anyone stayed at the South Sea Resort?

Yes, I've stayed at South Seas dozens of times over the years. Mostly with charters or friends.

If you like expensive and that Disney like, almost perfectly kept landscaping resort look, you'll like S. Seas.

Thanks Lewis, the website looked that way. We may go one day at dock and one on the hook if I can get my A/C fixed.

I have never been to south seas resort when they weren’t in the middle of some construction and this was before the hurricane. lots of apologies but still high prices. It is the only place to golf if you need that on a quick trip.

Jensen Marina let us dock for a couple hours so we could walk across the street to visit Captiva and see the sights.
We also anchored at the entrance to Tarpon Bay. Nice area for a night time visit.
Cabbage Key was pretty good place to visit. The burgers were just o.k., but the supper was fantastic.
We hit the city marina in Ft. Myers and walked into downtown. Pretty nice too.
We also hit another nice marina across the way from Ft. Myers, just a little West of town.
Water was skinny almost everywhere except in the river and the ICW.

I've stayed at South Seas and Tween Waters. The difference is Disney World to Bush Gardens. Both are very nice resorts-Tween Waters is more "old style" Florida and more homey and my preference. I had trouble getting wifi at South Seas the several times I've stayed there vs. no problem at Tween. Tween Waters is much smaller and can fill up quickly-reservations are recommended. My favorite restaurant on Captiva is The Green Flash-moderate price, great food and fantastic view of Pine Island Sound-and also has dockage if you want to come by boat. Its just a hop and a skip from Tween Waters.

There is a lot to see and do on Pine Island Sound.
I started a thread on here a few years ago asking suggestions and got a lot of info.
But I can't seem to find it.

My neighbor recommended Tween Waters as well and if it is close to the best food it sounds like a plan. Going to call the Locks today and am a little concerned about the oil spill. Winds can change and its still two plus weeks away...

Bob-I stayed at both Cabbage Key and Tween Waters recently. Tween has nice restroom and shower facilities, I had my kidz and their friends with me when we went to Cabbage so I rented one of the on water cottages and it was very nice. Tween has a nice lounge with music on some nights and the beach is right across the street.

The oil spill will not be affecting this part of Florida for several weeks, if at all. If all goes as planned, the gulf stream will keep the oil off the west coast and everything associated with the oil spill has gone as planned so far so no need to worry.

"...everything associated with the oil spill has gone as planned so far so no need to worry."

Yeah right. have you seen the news lately?

I am planning the trip to actually start on Memorial Day so I should hav no problem with finding a slip according to the dockmasters that I have talked to. I will be checking the day before I leave as far as oil and whatever else. If it is a serious risk I will just pull out the cruise guide and head south to the keys...

The currents will take it to the West before going to S. Fla.

Back