deck hand, local knowledge

TimHenn

RO Number
Hi,

Any tips on finding someone for quick a trip (an hour) off the dock? I'm not comfortable single-handing just yet, but, with a few trips off I might be as I'm setup in slip with forward and mid-ship poles.

I'm looking for someone who might enjoy a boat ride that has local knowledge of the waters and fishing in South Florida (Juniper inlet OR out West Palm) - I'd be happy to pay a customary fee for they're time.

I have guests coming down and really don't have a lot of knowledge about the area.

Tim

I have found local knowledge often to be incorrect. E.G. "plenty of water" when described by a small boater is meaningless to someone with 4' draft.

Tim,
Unfortunately my limited local experience does not extend that far north. Both of those inlets have reputations.

I suggest you post in the FL section on THT. There are a lot of active participants in those threads.

Good luck.
Mark

It's Jupiter inlet, BTW. If it were me, I'd ask the local charter fleet for a reference. Most of the charter captains will have a list of reliable and knowledgeable mates who could always use a few extra bucks.

I am in Boca and have knowledge of inlets south of you and some north of you. Unfortunately I do not know Juniper inlet, but that does not mean I can’t gain knowledge or select an alternate safer inlet. Are you also looking for a captain that knows the fishing grounds as well, or just someone that can help you pilot the boat into the ocean and help with docking?

Thanks Bill, it is Jupiter inlet (not Juniper, thats a golf course I play, doh, getting old.. :).

I did just meet a broker who is also a part-time captain, and fishes the area, who said he'd be glad to help me out. Florida "boating" is very different from the north east from what I see so just looking for a casual cruise to run the engines a bit and learn about the area like places to go for the afternoon on the hook and go swimming as well as fishing in general (Close to shore, couple miles out and in the stream). Bottom or trolling, etc.

I figured I'd take a shot on this forum. Thanks for the tips and information. By the way, what is THT? Not familiar with that acronym.

THT is Thehulltruth.com. Good boating website!

If you have any questions, I know the inlets and waters from Boca Inlet, south to Boca Chita, in lower Biscayne Bay. Great boating in Biscayne bay.

I have vacationed in Jupiter, but no boating experience there. I also have boating experience in St Augustine and Cape Canaveral.

Glad you found a captain with local knowledge - Enjoy!

West Palm inlet is about as good as it gets. If you have a plotter and charts you can see it is plenty wide and deep. Just pick the sea conditions along with tide and wind. We've been in and out several times on the way to/from the Bahamas. Study the charts and choose your weather/tides.
Jupiter is another story and there are a number of bad stories associated with that inlet although I am sure many find it safe in the right conditions. An experienced captain was thrown off his large sport fishing boat and killed there.

I m not very familiar with this area and don't know anything about fishing but will give you my 2 cents...

Jupiter is a tricky inlet best avoided unless the weather is calm. Any NE will cause breakers Current can be strong so any wind against tidal current will make things rough. Palm beach on the other hand is a wide safe inlet

Not a lot of anchorages in the area. peanut island inside the PB inlet is a popular spot although i don't see the appeal. North of Jupiter, the Hobe Sound area is pretty nice and unspoiled. I ve anchored there a few times Draft permitting Peck Lake north of Hobe sound is a nice week end spot

Most of the waters outside the ICW channel are shallow.

Check out Active Captain for detailed info

You don't say what kind of boat you have. The key to coming in and out of the typical SoFl slip with pilings is to release and set your spring lines first Thisnorevents the boat from drifitng into the dock. I ALWAYS set my springs with the eye on the boat cleat so all you have to do is slip the eye over the cleat once you re halfway into the slip. I usually attach the spring to the forward most piling.

Once your springs are on, you're pretty much set and can take your time getting the sterns and bow lines

Pascal,
Would you please elaborate a bit on your technique for setting the springs?

Thanks...Roy

quote:

Originally posted by Roy

Pascal,
Would you please elaborate a bit on your technique for setting the springs?

Thanks...Roy

What you do in your typical fixed slip with pilings is set 3 pairs of lines. Bow lines from the outer pilings tot he bow cleats, spring lines from thr outer pilings to the midship cleats and crossed stern lines on the dock. You can also add a spring from the dock to midship cleat to prevent the boat from moving away from the dock although i find that the crossed stern lines are enough

There csn be variation to this depending on the piling configuration as well as boat sizes. A larger boat and slip will likely have and extra set of midship cleats and an extra piling

I always use the eye of the springs on the boat and i always use the bitter end of the bow and sterns on the boat cleats.

Using the eye ofor the spring means all you have to do is put the eye on your cleats. No tying no adjustment and you know they will be set right. Anyone on the biat can do this if you need help.

On a smaller boat, say up to 35/40, you dont can use the eye one the bows and sterns but with a larger boat, when its windy, it mY take more effort to pull the bow agasint the wind and you can get a finger caught in the cleat

Using the bitter end for bows and sterns also allows you to adjust lines to keep boat of pilings if wind is occasionally stronger on one side. I mark the lines with zip tie of tape to know where to place them on the cleat

Coming in the slip, the first lines you put on are the springs. You grab them half way in so there is no rush and they re not under tension. On e they re set you dotn have to worry about the stern hitting the dock and you can take your time setting uo the other lines.

The only time i would set the sterns first is if there is a strongwind from the dock.

Thanks.....just as a follow-up. Sounds like the springs are already on the piling. Suppose you're coming into a new slip?

Roy

Pascal..Good to go as usual.I just tuned in and I'm glad to see your on the job again.
Hope all is with you and your flotilla.

Back