Diesel Motor with IPS Survey

CurrentSea

RO Number
Doing a survey Friday on a boat with Volvo Diesel D4 and IPS400.

Anything in particular I should make sure surveyor checks or I should check myself.

Doing a in water test and will haul to check IPS drives and bottom.

Besides normal, get up to cruise speed and WOT tests, anything else?

Thanks.

A big thing to check for is Corrosion! Make sure the bonding system is doing it's job. A pressure test and fluid sampling on both drives should be performed.

Boat is in Fresh water.
What will corrosion on this look like?

Surveyor will just do boat and basics.
If that goes well, having certified IPS mechanic pull drives for transport and test them.

Drives will be discolored, there will be signs of blistering in the metal housings. Make sure zincs have been updated.

Thanks.
Will take pics of anything odd.
Zincs will be updated to salt water zincs if I take the boat home.
Drives will also be re-checked again by local Long Island Mechanic.

Still has warranty so any motor/ips issues can be handled by that!

Dave, there is a Volvo IPS forum on Boatdiesel.

Dave,

You will want to ensure the necessary updates have been completed. If possible get a volvo mechanic to hook their vodia tool up to the motors and read the codes if any. You can check the active codes from the volvo screen as well. I'm not near my boat but if I remember correctly you hold down the far right key on the display until it enters OEM mode. Also find out when the last time the drive fluids have been changed. As I outlined in my email this is rather costly and if they haven't been done recently, you may want to roll the service into the deal. Also as long as the boat is out of the water, I'd suggest changing the anodes on the drives right away. They are where the exhaust exits and easy to do as it is just a stud with a cylindrical anode.

Ok, so I have run boat numbers.
There is no outstanding recalls or work.
Drives were serviced out of water in 12/2011.
No issues since new.
Since engines have 46 hours, I am not sure there is much concern, but will still cover bases.

If you have to ask these question you have the wrong surveyor.

Dave, Volvo will not cover issues related to corrosion. I just surveyed a vessel with these drives and there where numerous issues due to poor maintenance of the zincs.

I agree and I will make sure they are checked out. I am pretty good with zinc mainteance and will monitor them when I have it in salt. Since my marina is getting all new electric, hopefully it will be good!

While you are at it you might call your insurance underwriter and see if he loads the rates when the boat is powered by IPSs. I have not verified it but am told some do; and substantially. Good luck!

Already got a quote and it was not much more than old boat. I said IPS in quote even though they didn't have that as a propulsion system, some don't know about it yet. Again, hitting bottom with IPS may or may not result in any more or less damage than inboards. This has been debated.

Ha Ha, I will follow you now (again) since you will draw more than my little boat :)

No way, on plane you will draw more than me.
Off plane, I could be a inch or 2 more.

quote:

Originally posted by CurrentSea

Thanks guys! There will be no CurrentSea II.
Not right away. I think I will take a couple of years off from big boat cruising and go back to a trailer boat.

That didn't last long :D

He saw that insurance check and couldn't think of where to invest it so he went deep again. :D

It's not the money.
Never been about money,
It's about life.
It's about future.
It's about marina'a rebuilding and places rebuilding.
Life is short, enjoy it while you can.
I can tell you this, if you saw my post about RO Dominic passing, then it's more about that then my desires to own another boat!

quote:

Originally posted by CurrentSea

No way, on plane you will draw more than me.
Off plane, I could be a inch or 2 more.

I am much more than an inch or to bigger, ask Ginny :)

Back