Dinner recommendations in Essex?

abalmuth

RO Number
Over the next month ill be doing some overnighters and one of them will be Essex Ct.

As I haven't been there in year was thinking of the Black Seal or the Gres?

Of course any other suggestions are welcome

The only two places are the Griswold or the Black Seal.

quote:

Originally posted by HOGAN

The only two places are the Griswold or the Black Seal.

so Mike, which one gets your vote?

Black Seal.

When the owners bought the Griswold several years ago, the quality went down.

I just eat in both about a month ago and frankly Griswold was a huge disappointment! I have eaten there many times over the last 40 + years and it recently change at least management if not ownership not 100% sure which or both but the service sucked! The prices are high and the food was just OK. The next night we eat at the Black Seal and the service was great and the food was excellent and comparatively cheap! Not even a competition this said I'm sure I will be back to Griswold it's an institution. I believe it is the oldest continuing run tavern in the US it has been around forever and I will give then the benefit that it was a holiday week and they were shorthanded hopefully they will get their act together!

Abby's Place in the Brewer's Yard. Small but very good, limited menu,check her schedule though. I am never impressed with either of the other two, if you aren't limited to walking distance, options open up a bit. Grano in Chester is excellent! Red House in Deep River is above average bar food with some different options, the ESSEX in Centerbrook section of Essex, and Blue Hound Cookery, in Ivoryton section of Essex, very good tapas and small plates.

IMHO The Griswold Inn beats the Black Seal any
day.
We live in Essex and the service at the seal over the past few years has declined, but it is hit or miss.

The Gris has music 7 days a week and a great nautical atmosphere.

olive oyls deli. no dine in but great grub ! turkey, stuffing, cranberry sandwich is wonderful.
quote:

Originally posted by CurrentSea

Griswold Inn

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc="s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwi016Kk-p_rAhVCmlkKHYh6DTQQ_BcwFHoECBcQDw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.oliveoylscarryout.com%2F&usg=AOvVaw0RCJqVSqswfLyyw-r5pA1x

This is an old thread but it has a valid topic.
Updates:
The Black Seal has stepped up their service and menu and now exceeds the Griswold Inn. Poor service and employee turnover have given the Gris a bad reputation in the last few years. NOT Covid related.
Carlson's Landing was operational for a few years behind the CT river museum, but has since closed.
Eli Cannons from Middletown has re opened Carlson's as Noah's and the reviews are good.
Siren is open on Essex Island and is adjusting their menu every year to suit their patrons. They started off high end unique food but now they are bringing it down to be more family friendly with ambience on the island.
Olive Oyl's in town is fantastic as a place to get great breakfast / lunch on the go or sit on picnic tables outside.
Abby's (above dauntless) has closed and is now open as Dockside for lunch, dinner and drinks.

What is the name of the new place next to Essex Boat Works?

Back