Engine noise

WALSHIE

My starboard engine has always been weaker than the port. When I purchased my 2001 model boat in 2006, I was told the port engine had been replaced as a result of water ingestion but I do not know how many hours the new port engine would have.

In July of 2014, in this starboard engine, I had an oil and coolant mixture as well. Turned out I had a tulip-ed valve and most likely a blown head gaskette so I removed both heads, sent them out to be rebuilt, installed and the boat ran fine after.

When winterizing, I noticed a tiny little bit of water in the oil but the engine runs fine. I did risers and elbows and the starboard engine looked pretty bad.
When I restarted, there is some noise. It mainly sounds like the rocker arms tapping as if I am low on oil. There is another noise, possibly a valve hitting???
The oil level is fine and has some discoloration but not much. I wish I took note of the oil pressure guage, will probably do that today.

My plan is to flush out/replace the oil, check the pressure, see if the new oil helps. Perhaps there was an issue of oil getting fully pumped up since it is the first start since winterization? Also, I removed and drained my mufflers so everything is extra louder until they fill with water. If that does not improve things, I will remove the valve covers and also do a compression test. I fear a new engine is in my near future!! This engine has approx 900 hours.

What do you guys think?

boatbum

900 hours isn't that high IMO. Could be a sticky lifter?

WALSHIE

Dan - your comment is encouraging! I spent my lunch hour you-tubing sticky lifters and that is exactly the sound I heard. Plus the fact that over the winter oil would drain from the lifters is another clue. I'm going to change the oil and try again. One you tuber had an engine which sat for a long time and it took 15 minutes for the lifters to quiet down.

All this assumes I do have hydraulic lifters. Does anyone know what type of lifters are in a a 2001 5.7L Crusaders Engine?

WALSHIE

Cylinder number 6 the rocker arm is loose. I can turn it by hand, no resistance.

the spring looks good so I assume it’s a collapsed lifter.

WALSHIE

I had my numbering wrong, it wasn't 6 it is 5 that is bad. The valve is stuck, the post was unseated and there's water from that cylinder.
Too much going on right now, the plan is to launch, limp to slip and replace the head when I have time to get to it.

I did the heads on this engine in 2014, wasn't too bad.

I did a compression test and found the following:
2-8 = 157,150,147,160 <-- Leaving this head alone.
1-7 = 110,145,130,145 <-- Changing this head!

LouC

Stuck valve can be from water intrusion, I had this on a few cyls when my head gaskets blew. If you look closely in this pic you can see it...there was one on each cyl head...top pic, head on left side (actually starboard head, #4 exhaust valve stuck), head on left side (port head, #3 intake valve).
Bottom pic, cyl head in the foreground is reversed the cyl on the right is actally the rear on that side cyl #6 exhaust valve. Manifolds were not leaking this was all from the head gaskets.

Wound up replacing heads with reman units, $550 for the pair, worked out well....
The thing with these stuck valves were that they would stick after the engine was shut off, it would start but reluctantly and then run rough for a few min, as the valves loosened up then it would run normally. Next cold start same thing. That and water in the oil and one of the cyls lead to the tear down.
4.3 old cyl heads .JPG 4.3 starboard cyl head removal.JPG
4.3 reman cyl head 2.JPG

Last edited: