EVC-D Upgrades

Zoomnbyu

RO Number
Purchasing a 2007 Chaparral 330 that has been updated to VP 5.7GXi motors, DPS outdrives, and VP EVC-D. There's several things I think I would like to do but that depends on complexity and cost. Would appreciate any input, thoughts, etc...

Upgrade software to -E - Is this even possible.
Change to Electronic Steering - How complex, is there a kit, anything else?
Assuming can move to electronic steering add joystick docking?

Anything other recommendations?

Thanks all.

If I recall, joystick control of stern drives is a 20k plus option on new boats, so figure it’s going to cost at least that, likely MUCH more, to retrofit it onto your boat? Thats a big chunk of money for something only used when idling around the docks.

others probably disagree, but in my opinion, if it’s something you really want - find a used boat that already has it. that will cost you way less than rebuilding a boat that is not already set up with it.

Last edited:
Alk, appreciate the thought. My minorly possible thought here is prior owner already everything for joystick docking other than electronic steering. I have no idea what it costs to add that. Might be $20k, might be $5k, trying to find out.

It would be a great upgrade, no doubt. I assume that when Volvo prices 20k for joystick steering, the boat already has electronic controls for shift, throttle, etc. - as your boat does. But this Is just a guess. Can you even buy a boat these days with mechanical controls ?

Unfortunately it looks like no one reading this thread has the Volvo tech expertise that is needed to help you. Have you tried calling any Volvo dealers? Too bad no boat shows this year, that used to be a great place to get this type of info.

I've tried to call a few but haven't been very impressed so far. I own a service company in another industry and so far the electronics update piece seems to be a black hole at least on the VP side.

Back