5FCDF4FD-775B-4521-9E13-4E55BB6933EF.jpeg1976 Wellcraft 24’ Airslot

Attachments

• 3BE4884A-650A-4342-A6F7-54E90C8F36EF.jpeg
    3BE4884A-650A-4342-A6F7-54E90C8F36EF.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 57
  • ACCE6C09-0C87-43BA-9282-CC443BDA15B3.jpeg
    ACCE6C09-0C87-43BA-9282-CC443BDA15B3.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 59
That's really nice! What an interesting hull.
I once owned a 1992 25' Wellcraft Eclipse and it was nothing like that. Tell us more, please.

Looks like it's in really nice shape, especially for the year...tell us more about it?

It was a barn find. It sat inside for 24 years. The engine was roached from sitting so I put in a new long block and rebuilt or replaced all the accessories. I had to replace the intermediate drive with a NOS unit. Rebuilt the upper and lower drives. It still has the original seat upholstery. Came with original owners manuals for the boat and the OMC drive. Also came with every CG Auxiliary inspection when it was used. The original gel coat buffed out. New decals and striping brought it back to life.

Very nice! I have not seen an OMC stringer drive in many years. I am one of the few running a Cobra drive. I can still get most of the parts I need but I have a collection of good used stuff in my garage (spare drive, & transom mount and a bunch of other stuff)...

Very nice! I have not seen an OMC stringer drive in many years. I am one of the few running a Cobra drive. I can still get most of the parts I need but I have a collection of good used stuff in my garage (spare drive, & transom mount and a bunch of other stuff)...
It’s quite the Rube Goldberg setup. If I wasn’t a marine mechanic I never would attempt it. I’ve had pretty good success getting all the parts I need and replacing everything even remotely questionable. I’m anxious for spring to conduct sea trials.

there are a few people on the OMC sterndrive forum at iboats.com who know these well, one is Kenny Nunuez

It looks like you have done a great job of bringing the old boat back to life. But you had to out some money into it also.

OMC and Merc both used Ford engines back then. I think Merc dropped them a really long time ago whereas OMC & Volvo used them till the late 90s.

There have got to be a zillion GM 5.7L engines in boats. Solid engine especially the marine engines that have 4 bolt mains like the truck version of the 5.7L.

It looks like you have done a great job of bringing the old boat back to life. But you had to out some money into it also.
I did. I got the boat and trailer for $1500 so I had some room to expand before it got ridiculous. I did all the work myself. Paying anyone to do that level of restoration would've tanked the project. The new engine stringer was the trickiest but I got through it somehow.

Attachments

• IMG_0464.jpg
    IMG_0464.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 11
Just got these custom made. They’ll be going on shortly!
A2F03B8B-DD88-420D-8ADB-4AFAE6A46C41.jpeg

Back