Gas engine rebuilders recommendation

PascalG

RO Number
Posting this here since many of the big rebuilders do both marine and road engines

need to replace the 5.4 Triton V8 on our 2004 F150. Truck is in great shape, Lariat with leather etc. looked at options from Jasper, Fraser and Powertrain products.

anyone with experience with either of these or others?

I guess it is probably different with cars, but for boat motors, I’ve probably replaced eight or ten in my life. And I’ve had WAY better results with used motors, as compared to rebuilt. I had a grand Cherokee a few years ago that blew the head gasket on a 200k motor. Was very close to buying a complete take out with 60k miles on it, for well below cost of a jasper - but junked it instead.

You may want to at least look around and price a used replacement? Alternatively, does Ford sell new “crate“ replacement motors? I know GM does, and if i recall the price is not that much above a reman. I would do that before trusting a mass rebuilder.

Last edited:
I have to agree with ALK, I've changed a couple of motors in older cars and always went with the junk yard special.

FWIW - I have a 2009 Triton 5.4 F150 with 156k. Was running really bad and all it needed was spark plugs...so far, so good, knock wood!

This one has had issues with the valve timing for a while now... ticking and clicking after starting. We knew it was coming. Will check to see if Ford has factory remans

in consideration of the model year, perhaps a takeout from a wreck is a better financial choice

RWS

Problem is that pretty much all engines that years are going to be high mileage and have unknown history. I d hate to pay all the labor and be back to square in a year

Interesting that it has valve timing issues. I recently researched these engines wondering. What a 3 valve piston means. apparently the cam moves to adjust the valve timing. I’m picturing the cam sliding horizontally but that’s hard to imagine. Not sure if I understood correctly.

Problem is that pretty much all engines that years are going to be high mileage and have unknown history. I d hate to pay all the labor and be back to square in a year

agree, that is where the difference between boats and cars is most apparent - 90% of boats have the same motor so many more opportunities to find a good takeout.

any luck with Ford? the only good result I personally had with a reman was the time I took my block to a local machine shop, had them find me new heads, selected the pistons, cam etc myself, and had the shop assemble it. Cost at least double what the rapido marine type shops charge - but I only wanted to do it once.

Last edited:
Additional search shows $4400 for a Ford Motorcraft rebuilt long block with 3 year warranty at my Ford dealer. Maybe the way to go. A little more than rebuilders but the Ford warranty is worth a little more

Back