Google and other search tags

boatbum

RO Number
Just curious if they have been set up for the site. They might encourage more traffic in the boating sections.

I believe this conversation moved to another thread - but google and the like do not use the meta tags anymore. they read the pages, and only text that shows on the web pages is used for the search results. We can do some work on the forum titles, but beyond that there is not a whole lot that can be done. If you are building a website yourself, then you have the option to put text all over the pages, and link from one page to another, etc. But when using an off the shelf software product ( xenforo), those options don’t readily exist.

next year we can discuss paying google to bump us up to the ‘sponsored‘ section of the search results.

Ok. I remember a thread somewhere about an RO that was working the notion and it came to mind as a result of that thread.

Just did a google search for boating forum, and we came up on the first page! Last line on the page, but still.

Q:

I have the site "bookmarked" and jump right on in.

Would it me a better plan if I always went to G00gle searched, then used the provided link?

I am generally set in concrete, but I could make an exception... :D

Last edited:
my understanding is that the more times it is searched for, and then clicked on, the higher it rises in the results. I don’t know if it matters when a couple dozen of us regularly search and click - but I try to do so a few times a week, in case it helps.

the daily traffic hasn’t budged since we moved from page five to page one - but any day now I’m thinking people will find us, and this thing is going to take off ! :)

Back