Gulf Tuna Trip

Bill D.

Crazy Old RO
RO Number
My buddy Harlan worked as the backup captain on the Sea Spray with Captain Bill Staff for a over night trip to the tuna grounds. Blackfin were plentiful, but only 4 Yellowfin made it in the boat. Lots of other "options" were also caught. Harlan is on a trip right now. Anyway, thought y'all might enjoy a offshore catch picture.
IMG_0871 - Copy.JPG

Talked with my fried Harlan after the second trip. He said sharks and dolphins are taking 3 out of four tuna that get hooked. Ouch....

Last edited:
Dolphins interfering w/ catch?

I know it makes sense, and do not doubt it, but in my many deep sea fishing trips ( 1960 - 1970's ) I never saw that happen.

Must be a difference in fishing techniques or something.

Sharks, well, that was common and disheartening ( since we were tournament fishing, a shark bite was disqualifying )

And we saw some true sea monster sharks...

( Even had a whale charge the boat, but that is for another thread )

The dolphin often wear out the red snapper, both hooked and even more so the released ones. Like you I remember when it was not a problem. If you think about it blackfin are a perfect size target for dolphin. I really think they have learned to associate boats with free food.

As an aside, several of the fishermen were surgeons. We used natural baits ( ballyhoo, mullet ).

I doubt you ever saw a patient so neatly and quickly sewn up as those baits! :)

As an aside, several of the fishermen were surgeons. We used natural baits ( ballyhoo, mullet ).

I doubt you ever saw a patient so neatly and quickly sewn up as those baits! :)
I bet that was something to see!

It's a different fishing world today with boats able to cover so many miles of water so quickly. I'm amazed at all the boats with quad or more outboards fishing the blue water. Heck a 150-250 mile run to the blue water tuna rigs is a very doable day trip these days.

Back