Key West Vacation

CaptCrunch

RO Number
We're looking to go down to Key West for a mini 3-4 night getaway later this month. any hotel recommendations and things to do, etc?

For sure eat at Pepe's. Great for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Also check out Louie's Backyard and Blue Heaven. For lunch check out B.O.s Fish Wagon.

For drinks, music and local color check out the Schooner Wharf bar and the Green Parrot. For people watching, park yourself at the rail outside of Rick's with a cold one and watch the show go by.

As to hotels, I'd look at staying at one of the many B&Bs down there.

For a unique hotel experience, take a look at The Eden House. Very nice place with great staff. We have stayed there 3 or 4 times now and are returning next week for a 3 night visit to celebrate my wife's birthday. Lots of different choices on rooms. My advice would be to pay a bit more and upgrade from the basic rooms. The basic rooms are VERY small, but clean and nice. Free self-serve happy hour around the nicest courtyard/pool area every evening. They have bikes for rent right at the hotel and that is our favorite way to get around Key West. Azur restaurant which is connected to the hotel extends 20% discount on lunch and breakfast to Eden House guests. Their breakfast is one of the best around.
Eden House is not for those looking for the big resort hotel experience.
I agree with the above posts on restaurants.
Things to do:
1. The ferry boat to the Dry Tortugas/Fort Jefferson is a really nice day trip.
2. Sunset cruises are plentiful and can be fun.
3. Tour of the Truman White House is fascinating.
4. Hemingway House tour.
5. Snorkeling tours are plentiful.
6. Believe it or not, the Butterfly Conservatory is worth a visit.

all sounds interesting. I was looking at the ferry to the dry tortoguas it looked like a fun day trip. last time I was in key west was a day stop on a cruise, we made it to 6 drinks at 6 different bars....

quote:

we made it to 6 drinks at 6 different bars....

you will fit right in but why does it matter where you stay??

I second the Eden House. And if you want a true Key West experience, head up to the roof top bar known as the Garden of Eden at the Bull and Whistle bar. :)

Really, Bill, you're going to send them to the "clothing optional bar"? :)

We looked at Pepe's from B.O.'s. We weren't sure about Pepe's but have heard it's good. B.O.'s is certainly good. I'm not sure there's any bad food to have in Key West.

The staff at Galleon Marina was fantastic to us. I highly recommend that place for a slip. Good piers and most things in walking distance.

Can't help you with hotels as we have always rented. However, we just got back from key west last week and found a new to us restaurant called Grunts on Caroline street. Just a block off duval. It was really good. We also tried latitudes for the first time which is on Sunset Key (the island just across from Malory which requires a ferry). The best dinner location for a sunset. A bit more expensive but food was very good. Louis is always a great spot

Spent 3 nights down there a week ago. Stayed at the Best Western Hibiscus on Siminton. 1 block off Duval on the east side. Very clean and spacious rooms. Also very nice price.

MJK

Back