Kohler 6.5 kw generator in Carver 325

jgrothe

My generator has 200 hours total time. It had been running, underload for about an hour and it shut down. I am able to restart, but will only run while I hold the start switch down. New impeller 5 hours ago, and I have good flow out the exhaust. Oil clean/full, coolant full. Normally as you start the gen the engine starts, then you can hear what I believe is a relay close...then you can release the start switch and power is available. It starts fine, but I am not hearing that relay close, so it dies as soon as I release the start switch.

Any thoughts or experience would be appreciated.

Tommyfmu

It sounds like there is a ground problem to look for. Check that all the grounds have good terminals. I have a bit of a different problem; I think the brushes within the starter need to be replaced/rewound. The 6.5 runs like a champ forever but once I shut it down, it won't start up again until it cools down.

cwms

You might want to post this in the engine's forum as it is an engine problem, not a Carver problem

pdecat

It sounds like one of the safety shutdowns is stopping it.
Check the water supply flow if it starts after cool down.

Planeguy

Kohler 6.5's must be the problem child. Mine shut down a few weeks before I winterized and when the tech came to look at it he said it had no compression. It has a Honda GX-360-E engine in it which of course they don't make anymore. I am looking into having the engine rebuilt at a Honda service center.

pdecat

No compression in all cylinders???
Never heard of that
Is it cranking?

Gregory S

Mine did what the OP's did. I changed the plugs and the problem went away. Easy fix.

Planeguy

Mine will crank over easily. I had a Kohler certified tech look at it and when he checked the compression with a guage there was ZERO. He even put his finger in the plug area and cranked it over. He removed a small plate and said the valves are moving freely.