Lake Ontario, Olcott NY 9-16-12 Salmon Fishing

Tim Bromund

RO Number
Had lots of boat problems and didn't get in the water til July and only made it out 5 times all summer, but Dad and I gave it one last shot out of Olcott this morning.

Lots of boat traffic in tight and we played around in there for an hour or so without seeing much on the screen and not many nets moving, so we pointed it north and found a much better picture between 150 and 230 fow with decent temp profile, lots of bait pods and quite a few hooks, but not a lot of activity on the rods. Temp was 48 deg down 70.

Ended up 1 for 1, coming on a white green dot SD and Big Weenie Spook fly on a wire diver back 210. Not a huge fish, maybe 15-16 lbs, but it was a mature hen king full of eggs (AKA egg wagon :) )

IMG_0510.jpg

Hopefully have a better season next year.

This was our best fish this year, 27 lb King (Chinook) Salmon caught on July 13

7-131.jpg

and another nice one that day, 21 lbs

P1020855.jpg

Tim

Glad you got out again Tim. We had a good season at the Oak - got out on eight different days and caught at least one fish each day we fished. Hope you got your leak problems fixed and the cuddy redone. Next year should be better for you. By the way - on our boat I am the old guy.

Hi Larry,

Yeah I was following your reports on the other boards all summer. Looks like you had some pretty good trips. I've gotta say that from everything I've seen, Oak Orchard had the most consistent fishing of any port on the lake from the beginning of the season til a week or two ago when all of the migratory kings departed for the Salmon River. Cuddy is still a work in progress. Since all I use it for is rod storage, I decided to live with it tore apart for this season.

Tim

Tim, is all that snow and ice what keeps y'all from growing any big fish? Those would make good bait down here.
<G>

Yeah, but I'll bet they'd cook up real fine in some instant grits <G>

'lil fish and fake grits. Now there's a meal you can not sink your teeth into.

quote:

Originally posted by Bill D.

Tim, is all that snow and ice what keeps y'all from growing any big fish? Those would make good bait down here.
<G>

Hey those aren't bad for fish that only have a 2 week growing season

Since they are frozen in place most of the tear they don't waste energy swimming, just add weight.
Y'all need some fish with big teeth. I just noticed everyone still has their fingers and nobody is bleeding. Down here we use a cane pole and crickets for fish with no teeth. <G>

Back