Les...linking competing websites!

jtybt15

Active member
Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2001
RO Number
3300
Messages
9,535
Time to put up another advisory about adding links. Been seeing a few competing websites. I'm sure they're not done knowingly in violation of forum rules. Blatant advertisers quickly get up the attention of the oldies...who generally sit back, grab a beer, pass around the VS and Easycheese and wait for the fireworks.:D[8D]
 
Charlie, I'd be appreciative if someone could just drop me a note if they see an "illegal" link. Radio, all links are not forbidden - just commercial links. There are lots of manufacturer's sites and other non-profit sites that have valuable information. We just don't have anyway of determining whether a commercial link is reputable or not. Therefore, everyone voted to ban them.
 
Radio and Sea, the decision was made by all the subscribers at the time of the vote - and it was overwhelming in favor of restricting commercial links. I didn't make the decision, you all did. Many of you may recall that we had quantities of people, one shot wonders, coming through here and advertising their web sites.
 
Jason, I did post the "real" reason - we held a vote and the majority ruled. Am I happy with the decision? Yes. I don't like folks blowing in here and advertising their sites after we've spent years building the traffic and there are some companies that do compete with BoatFix and BoaterEd that, after 20 years in the Marine Industry, I know are less than reputable. However, again, the "real" reason is that the people here didn't want spam.
 
Back
Top