NTSB report on Benetti 120’ fire two years ago

PascalG

RO Number
Boat went up in flames here in miami on 2019... always wondered if we d hear anything.

Well it is a head shaker:

lights failed in the lower deck (Italian boat, no surprise), stew set up some candles in a guest room (actually not just a stew but the chief stew!), near some curtains!

On top of that the fire alarm system had been inoperable for two months !!

Who uses candles on a small boat? In comparison. Maybe in your stateroom of an ocean liner.

With all the LED options now for candle light, even if you want it for mood, not much excuse to use a real flame.

Years ago we went on a trip with a couple of other boats. It started in Kingston NY and headed South to Long Island Sound. Well, we had to stop for gas etc. so New Jersey was the place we picked. I think we fueled up at Port Imperial. Anyway we wound up at Lincoln Harbor. We all fueled up prior to docking. As a part of getting underway in the morning, after fueling prior to dinner I went to the other boats to discuss the trip. We sat down at the table in one of the boats and started to talk. Their boat smelled of gas since we had all just fueled.
His wife lit a candle.
I said, Jan, what are you doing? She said it covers the smell. I looked at Deb and said we are out of here. Fortunately their boat did not explode but we did not stick around to find out if it was going to happen.

Back