Odd Security Related Failure to Load

boatbum

We are at an RV park and they provide WIFI. B.E. will not load and this is what I get. It's not a big deal I can fire up the smart phone hotspot if I get strung out for a B.E. fix LOL.
NoCanDoBE.jpg

Brian N

Administrator
Staff member
That's odd, I have connected without issue from all different WiFi's...

@alk Any ideas?

boatbum

So have I and now we are at another RV park and it works fine. I get this sort of thing once in a while. Especially with the FTP client or email clients. That was why I posted. Everything else was happy there. Oh well.

alk

Administrator
Staff member
I think the problem was the wifi at your RV park. Most likely it was not configured correctly, so having issues letting your browser certify the SSL. Or also possible it was hacked - or someone in the park created a wifi network that looked like the park's WIFI, and was trying to trick people into using it, to grab login credentials. It’s usually not hackers, it’s usually a configuration problem with the WiFi host - something as innocent as wrong time on their servers will cause ssl to fail.

I almost always use my hotspots when out of my house, well at least when I used to leave my house. Would never trust a hotel wifi. We have some users who make use of nord vpn, which is good idea too -- especially if you plan on using suspect wifi sites, in regions where hotspot isn't possible.

Our SSL cert is definitely valid. We are actually paying an extra couple bucks a month for an ssl upgrade, that is more typical for ecommerce platforms, and is probably overkill for the forum hosting. So I am mostly confident that this was not a 'server side' issue.

Last edited:

Brian N

Administrator
Staff member
Yup...anytime I am on the road I am connected through Nord...

alk

Administrator
Staff member
The thing that worries me about Nord is that so many people use it, and so much personal user data passes through it - its got to be like the gold medal of hacking to break it, sort of like Solar Winds. So while their security is probably a hundred thousand times above what the average Motel 8 is using, there are a hundred one thousand more hackers trying to breach it.

I encourage everyone who is interested to look into ‘secure DNS’ to further enhance your privacy / security.

missnmountains

I get that when the WIFI has a login that is a webpage rather than through the wifi credentials. Once the login page pops up, the error goes away. Sometimes I need to load the page by entering startmywifi.com or just keep trying various pages.

Ken

boatbum

This was a bard failure after all connections were complete. All other sites behaved (at least off the ones we tried). It was very odd.