OMC Cobra Prop shaft oil leak

53trb

Member
Joined
Apr 26, 2006
RO Number
21020
Messages
2
Hello to all. I am new today, I just got my boat out of storage this week, put it in the drive way and this morning noticed that there is a pool of oil showing up under the outdrive. When I put it away last season I changed the L/U fluid and it was clear, no milk. Is it common for a Prop shaft seal to go south over the winter? (I did drive thru the sand last trip out, removed some paint I did't think anything big.)
Next how do I change it?
I have looked at the parts diagram and I do not see a reason that I could not pull the bearing cage out after removing the two snap rings, and the prop. Am I correct? Can the bearing cage be removed that easly?
I know that there are two seals that need to be changed, I can see one with the prop off.

Please help, I want to go boating but do not want to discharge oil into the water, or get water in the lower unit.

Thanks.

Todd
 
Back
Top