Outdrive Removal for Winter Storage

BillK

RO Number
I will be winterize my boat for the first time in several years this fall. I'm keeping it in a dry storage (un-heated) really won't be using the boat from Dec-Apr. I was planning to remove the Alpha I Gen II outdrive and bring it home - for a couple of reasons 1. I need to replace the water pump impeller and 2. I am planning to repaint it. So my question is, what do you do (if anything) to cover up the opening on the u-joint bellows to keep things from getting into it - mainly rain as the storage rack is open on the back side so the backs of the boats get some rain. Was thinking of making a cover just out of plywood that would fit over and use the existing bolts to hold it in place, but wondering if that is overkill?

They sell special covers. I had them for my Bravo's. They bolt on and cover it tight. I have seen others use garbage bags or rags.

Not overkill at all, you do not want moisture getting in there and corroding the gimble bearing. I have a plastic one for my Cobra but if I could not have found this one I'd make one as well, probably out of 1/2 in plywood. Just use the drive to transom mount gasket as a pattern....

I stuff rags in there and tape a garbage bag over transom assy. Done it for years

Found a child's play ball that fits tight. Wrap a rag around it and cram it into the cavity.

Back