owned her for 20 years.....should I move up?

RWS

RO Number
Thinking about a vessel that meets:

my 14' fixed bridge requirement

has a dinghy friendly swim platform

carries a good deal more fresh water

has a transom door

ease of access - egress

can be single handled

NO pods, no Detroits, no Volvos

we fish very little anymore

could be a candidate for the LOOP, but must be a planing hull

2 head layout - privacy

main berth has access on both sides

decent galley storage

decent onboard storage

suitable for runs to Key West, Tarpon Springs, St. Pete, both inside and outside, etc

I keep ending up at this destination:

Sea Ray Sundancer 450 - galley to port with bow thruster - overall length is 50'

While I haven't yet listed her, I am presently testing the water with this link:

www.trojanboat.com

has links to detailed photos and a list of upgrades and improvements

I'm 64, thought she would be my LAST BOAT but my needs have changed

I am hopeful y'all will share your thoughts

BEST !

RWS

Last edited:
Be careful testing the waters! I did that, just to "feel" the territory, and ended up selling. Granted, it was a great price, but very bittersweet!

I just saw this on BoatTest. Looks right up your alley.Screen Shot 2.jpg

Have you considered lobster boats/downeasts. Many should fit under a 14’ bridge and a lot more distinctive than a dancer. Better layout without the cave

I don't really know what she would bring in this crazy market.

I have not listed her.

Doubtful I'd let her go without a replacement at least under contract.

I have enough room at my home dock to keep both - but don't want to deal with potentially spiderwebbing 2 boats during hurricane season.

Loop is secondary, local runs are primary - Key West, to Tarpon Springs, ditch, Lauderdale.

We often anchor out at Cayo Costa/Pelican Bay takes us about 1.25 hours at 20 kts - We need a planing vessel.

www.trojanboat.com is paid for and lift kept. My only fixed cost is insurance.

I have NO PLANS to give her away - what do y'all see as a legitimate price?

RWS

Nice looking boat RWS - the care in maintenance shows well in the photographs. We may be right behind you, we photographed the boat on Sunday, for possible listing in the spring. 14 years of owning it, shows better now than it did when I bought it. We made an offer on a boat this weekend, we should hear by tomorrow. If we own two boats in the spring, we may list the Tiara right away... But if the boat we buy needs significant updates/upgrades (like the one we have an offer on), we may decide to own both for a few months. Can't waste too much of a boating season in the north.

It certainly is looking good. Given the available history, diesel upgrade, cleanliness I'd expect it to get a premium over the gassers out there. How much? Perhaps the surveyors that reviewed it can offer a good number.

Reactions: RWS
THANK YOU !

Her age is the only negative, will take a cash buyer.

RWS

Been busy here lately and not active here at BE

After traveling the country seeking one specific boat model and visiting a few toads I finally bought new to me boat 1996 Sea Ray 450 Sundancer w/3126 CAT engines

Closed in December

Listed my 10 Meter in January

She left the home dock for the last time 3 weeks ago.

Currently handling deferred maintenance issues on the Sea Ray to get her up to speed.

Given the direction of our economy I feel fortunate to have her gone now, before things get too crazy.

BEST !

RWS

People are finding their “new” boat, but it does seem harder. My longtime hunting and fishing buddy recently found a deal on 35’ Cabo express. After taking care of some maintenance issue‘s it is in the water. Shakedown cruise next week and a couple of nights out on the tuna grounds coming up soon!
I’ve decided no more boats for me and have reduced down to only having the baby Whaler 13’ sport. I just can not do the work anymore. I’ve been reduced to being the old slow deckhand who does the rigs for fishing, cleans fish, gaffs, keeps fish amounts and size legal, handles the deck washdown, and helps keep the “sports” happy. Yet another case of the world moving on and leaving me behind.😊

I’m also the guy at the helm and on watch while everyone else gets some sleep. Old fisherman never really die we just smell like we did.

Last edited:
I love the Clint Eastwood quote - and try to live by it.....

"DON'T LET THE OLD MAN IN"

rws

I love the Clint Eastwood quote - and try to live by it.....

"DON'T LET THE OLD MAN IN"

rws
He also said, “A man should know his limitations.”, and even Clint has slowed down through the years.😁😁😁

Back