Planing 101

NewToBoatingRegal

Hello - just bought a 2004 Regal 1800 LSR in great condition. I am new to boating and when on the lake yesterday I had some real weird issues I hope someone can explain. It has a Volvo Penta and 4 people on the boat - max RPM is 3,500 but when I tried to pull 2 teenage girls on a rube float it wouldn’t plane and wouldn’t even reach 3,000 RPM. The worst part is the steering was fighting me to turn to the left. Otherwise it was a real chore to try and keep her straight and level. What was I doing wrong?

The Other Gary

We need more info on the engine, prop and trim positions. Most boats should reach 4200 rpm
with the proper propeller.

NewToBoatingRegal

We need more info on the engine, prop and trim positions. Most boats should reach 4200 rpm
with the proper propeller.
Volvo Penta - Stock V6 190 HP, not sure about the propeller and I started with full down/In trim and keep trimming but the boat would not trim beyond a certain point. The trim motor works and usually the boat runs best at middle trim position on the gauge. I think the steering issue may because the front of the boat was so high? So when I let go of the Steering wheel it would make a hard left turn... Otherwise it steers fine when trimmed with noone being pulled.

Golfman25

If you’re only turning 3500 rpm at max, you have an engine or prop issue. Start with the prop and check the size and pitch and compare with original specs.

boatbum

The max rpm is also dependent on the load the boat is carrying.

PascalG

With a reasonable load you should be turning 4200/4500 rom depending on engine model. 3500 is way off. Make sure you have the right prop otherwise check the basics. Fuel, ignition and compression.

As to the turning to the left issue, what kind of steering? Cable or hydraulic ? I hate cable steering… we had cable steering on a 15’ dinghy and I upgraded it to hydraulic to eliminate the torque steer which was worst when towing.

cwms

Yes, agree, 3500 is way too low. Either an engine issue or you are way over propped. As far as pulling hard to one side, could be as simple as the trim tab not aligned correctly. By trim tab, I’m talking about that little fin that hangs down behind the propeller. It should be at a slight angle, maybe 10 degrees or so. It’s purpose is to offset the naturally occurring prop torque that pulls the outdrive to one side or the other.
A V-6, 190 hp engine should run that boat at a pretty good speed, even with a full load. 1/2 loaded should have no problem pulling a tube.