Reciprocity

pdecat

RO Number
Do all states honor the rules of a visiting boaters home state even if no license is required in the home state.

Any difference if the visitor is on his own boat or rents/charters originating out of his home state???

Hi Bruce,

Good question. Reciprocity regarding boating licenses can be a tricky topic as the rules may vary by state.

Generally speaking, most states will honor boating safety certificates/licenses from a visiting boaters home state, even when no license is required in the home state. For example, boat safety education is not mandatory in Alaska, but those states with mandatory boater education requirements will accept an Alaska boating education certificate/license.

If you let me know what state(s) you're inquiring about I can get you a more complete answer on this.

quote:

For example, boat safety education is not mandatory in Alaska, but those states with mandatory boater education requirements will accept an Alaska boating education certificate/license.

So you are saying that even if your home state does not require anything another state will still require it from visitors???

Not necessarily, it depends on where you're boating.

Some states allow visiting boaters an exemption from having to take a boating education course when they are visiting for a certain period of time, whereas others require proof of passing a NASBLA-approved course from another state to meet the requirements of the state where the visitor is boating.

I would suggest checking the boating laws in the state you plan to visit before operating there. You can check the reference guide from nasbla.org for state specific boating laws: http://www.nasbla.net/referenceguide/

Hope this helps!

quote:

Originally posted by pdecat

quote:

For example, boat safety education is not mandatory in Alaska, but those states with mandatory boater education requirements will accept an Alaska boating education certificate/license.

So you are saying that even if your home state does not require anything another state will still require it from visitors???

I am pretty sure the People's Republic of New Jersey requires it even if your home state has no such requirement. I think if you stay offshore at the 3 mile limit there is no requirement because your technically not boating in NJ waters. This is pure conjecture on my part but I think I'm right.
Bill

I'm pretty sure Washington, DC requires that you carry proof of passing a safe boating course regardless of where you live. You have a good chance of being stopped in Washington DC if you boat there.

Ron,

You're right on that one. In DC the law is that anyone operating on DC waterways must have a state-approved Boater Education Certificate.

All states that have mandatory boater education requirements will accept a DC Boater Education Certificate and likewise, the state of DC will accept boating education cards that are issued by states that meet NASBLA requirements.

If you're planning to boat in DC, be sure to get your card and carry it with you at all times to avoid the fines.

People regularly travel from FL to ME and all points in between. If this thread is to work there needs to be a definitive answer to the question how does it apply to me. Loopers have similar questions.

Bruce, I agree with you 100%.

I can do my best to give definitive answers to these questions as long as those asking can include the state they will be boating in.

I have a certificate from the U S Power Squadron dated 1974.. Would that still hold weight? (Even taught their A P class back then)

quote:

Originally posted by bletso

I have a certificate from the U S Power Squadron dated 1974.. Would that still hold weight? (Even taught their A P class back then)

NJ will not accept that I forget or can not find the cutoff date but I know any certification from 1974 is to old. You need to comply by taking a NASBLA-approved course and passing the test. It looks like NJ has joined 40 states requiring you comply with the NASBLA-approved course and test.
Bill

Ohio does not require a Jet Ski cert but our neighbor Pa does. If an Ohioan wants to Jet Ski in Pa waters they have to have the cert. I have been told if they catch you the officer just gives a on the spot "test" and let's you be on your way. I took my family through the Power Squadron course in Pa and we had a separate little session and we got the Jet Ski cert.

Niles

Hi Niles,

It's been a while since I've checked in here on BE.. & haven't seen you since you were in Sandusky this past summer.. had a nice weekend and was nice to meet you.. One of the folks asked if there was a way to get in touch w/you. I don't have your contact info.. is there a chance you can offer that up to me? shadow7118 at aol.. thanks. - j

Back