Stingray's (not the corvette type)

Bill D.

Crazy Old RO
Who keeps and eats stingrays? I don't think I've had one since I was a kid beach camping and caught one when nothing else seem to be biting. We've all heard the fake scallops stories. I personally don't buy into that since rays have a calcium line running through them that you would notice when eating. Anyway, I've backed way off of killing a shark for the table so a ray is probably a good replacement. I seem to almost always catch a couple so might as well try eating them. I'm seeing a fair number of likely recipes and the added plus is they are as easy as flounder to fillet. What say y'all?

Surfer

those people on Naked and Afraid eat them and say they're delicious (but they're a couple days away from starvation so who the heck knows.)
Try it , Bill!

Bill D.

Crazy Old RO
those people on Naked and Afraid eat them and say they're delicious (but they're a couple days away from starvation so who the heck knows.)
Try it , Bill!
I usually just release them or I might keep one for shark bait if other bait is hard to catch. Next beach I'll try it and see...Of course that means I won't catch any.

Radioactive

Local rumor has it that "they" use cookie cutters to punch fake scallops out of the rays

Veracity unconfirmed...

Bill D.

Crazy Old RO
Local rumor has it that "they" use cookie cutters to punch fake scallops out of the rays

Veracity unconfirmed...
Yep, I've heard that for many years. I've never had a "scallop" served to me that I thought might be a ray. I say this because rays have a calcium line running through the center of their wings much like the bones of a flounder. One would notice that when eating if it were present. I guess if the ray is big enough you could cut 2 'scallops' out of one punch through. However, I would think size, processing time, etc you would end up with a product that would cost more than the real thing.

Brian N

Administrator
Staff member
I've eaten the wings in restaurants in Europe, it was pretty good...

Bill D.

Crazy Old RO
I see a lot of different recipes for eating them. It's kind of funny how opinions of 'worth eating' change with time. When I was a kid, triggerfish were thrown back mostly because grouper and snapper were easier to catch and clean now they are a target fish. Mullet were bait and today lots of folks smoke them or fry them fresh. Blues were bait, period. Blue runners were sent back down to catch something bigger. It now seems as though rays are getting attention as a food source.

Brian N

Administrator
Staff member
If I recall correctly it is considered a delicacy in Belgium... and it was good...

Bill D.

Crazy Old RO
I'm hoping to hit the surf later this coming week. I'm going to be real PO'ed if I try them and find out I really like them.

speedo

Veracity unconfirmed...
I've heard this about shark meat. No bones, so perhaps easier to fool the un-knowing. I've enjoyed thresher and black tip, marinated in lime juice and salsa for no more than an hour, and grilled with a cilantro/lime butter baste. Delicious!

Bill D.

Crazy Old RO
I've cooked and eaten a lot of shark. Texture similar to pork. It also does well in a crab boil, 1" sq. chunks, then serve cold like boiled shrimp. Not all are good on the table. Important to gut and get on ice quickly. I also remove skin asap. Some like to soak shark meat in milk for a bit.

speedo

I've cooked and eaten a lot of shark. Texture similar to pork. It also does well in a crab boil, 1" sq. chunks, then serve cold like boiled shrimp. Not all are good on the table. Important to gut and get on ice quickly. I also remove skin asap. Some like to soak shark meat in milk for a bit.
I think shark spoils particularly fast, doesn't it? IIRC, they release uric acid when stressed. I used to be able to get black tip at the store, but its shelf life was surprisingly short. Thresher seems to hold up better.

Bill D.

Crazy Old RO
I think shark spoils particularly fast, doesn't it? IIRC, they release uric acid when stressed. I used to be able to get black tip at the store, but its shelf life was surprisingly short. Thresher seems to hold up better.
The uric acid problem is why I gut, skin, and ice almost immediately. If I'm night fishing I'll clean them in the water as soon as I catch them. If near daybreak or after I'll leave after catching and go clean at our fish cleaning station. I vacuum seal what I don't eat fresh and it seems to do fine that way. I want to try a mako if I ever catch one that isn't too big, yet legal size. I dislike killing sharks and kill no more than 1 a year. I understand mako is as good to eat as swordfish.

speedo

The uric acid problem is why I gut, skin, and ice almost immediately. If I'm night fishing I'll clean them in the water as soon as I catch them. If near daybreak or after I'll leave after catching and go clean at our fish cleaning station. I vacuum seal what I don't eat fresh and it seems to do fine that way. I want to try a mako if I ever catch one that isn't too big, yet legal size. I dislike killing sharks and kill no more than 1 a year. I understand mako is as good to eat as swordfish.
It's a surprisingly mild fish, very dense and holds up very well on the grill. I've served it to folks who aren't fond of fish and they've really enjoyed it. Leftover grilled shark makes a delicious quesadilla. Surprised it's not a more commonly used fish.