Upper Chesapeake Marina Recommendations

bobh

RO Number
Hello everyone - Taking a cruise to Chesapeake City from Cape May - got a slip at the Chesapeake Inn Marina for Thursday night but was looking for two nights and they only had availability for one night. Any recommendations for other marinas in the area for Friday night? We like areas with restaurants and some local attractions/shops, etc. Thanks in advance.

Bob - Check with Schaefer's Canal House directly across the C&D Canal from the Chesapeake Inn. Not sure if they have overnight transient slips, but it might be worth a call.

Thanks Glen - hope all is well. I was thinking Summit North too. Worst case I can anchor out in the basin and turn the generator on :)

there are not a ton of options on the canal - Delaware City Marina, Summit North, Chesapeake Inn and Schaefer’s on the canal. you could go up the elk river to tritons - about 5 miles past Chesapeake city. Or south to the Bohemia, also 5 or so miles. several marinas there. But there is nothing nearby either of those marinas. If you want to venture a little further, Northeast MD is a great little town, bunch of restaurants, shops, bars, etc. Plenty of marinas. I would say 20 miles to get over there from Chesapeake City.

are you looking for a place for second night, or first? Reason I ask, if it is second night - the city dock in Chesapeake city, right in the basin, has a few slips. They are either free, or like ten bucks a night. Or maybe free for the slip, ten bucks if you want to use the electric. I can’t remember. if I recall, you can not reserve a slip - first come first serve - But if you have a slip at the Inn for the first night, just keep an eye on the city slips and as soon as someone departs, zip over and take it? Or if you have a dingy, anchor in the basin, you won’t be the only one.

i should also mention Harbor North, right at the mouth of the elk - maybe 3 miles from the basin. It’s more of a boat yard than a marina. you will not be living in luxury there, and getting in or out at low tide may be a problem for you. And you really get rocked in the slips from passing boat traffic. But it’s close. You could probably get an uber or taxi over to Chesapeake city, and they do have a restaraunt / bar on premise; at least they did last time I was there.

Last edited:
Thanks Glen - hope all is well. I was thinking Summit North too. Worst case I can anchor out in the basin and turn the generator on :)
Doing great, Bob. Really enjoying Florida. Hope all is well with you.

Just to follow up on this thread. We cruised from Somers Point to Chesapeake City on Thursday. On Friday we were able to get a slip at Haven Harbour in Rock Hall. Great trip down from Chesapeake City - weather was hot but low winds and nice flat waters. Haven Harbour is a real nice marina. Had a nice dinner at Osprey Point We got a slip at Canyon Club for Saturday night. So we made the long trip back on Saturday. Smooth cruising until we got to the Delaware Bay. That was one of the toughest rides - straight into the wind and tide. Next time I will time that better. Cape May never looomed so good - it took forever and it was a constant chop. The ride back from Cape May to Somers Point was a breeze - wind at our backs. It was a nice trip but we really needed a couple of extra days for that much distance. Next time.

there are not a ton of options on the canal - Delaware City Marina, Summit North, Chesapeake Inn and Schaefer’s on the canal. you could go up the elk river to tritons - about 5 miles past Chesapeake city. Or south to the Bohemia, also 5 or so miles. several marinas there. But there is nothing nearby either of those marinas. If you want to venture a little further, Northeast MD is a great little town, bunch of restaurants, shops, bars, etc. Plenty of marinas. I would say 20 miles to get over there from Chesapeake City.

are you looking for a place for second night, or first? Reason I ask, if it is second night - the city dock in Chesapeake city, right in the basin, has a few slips. They are either free, or like ten bucks a night. Or maybe free for the slip, ten bucks if you want to use the electric. I can’t remember. if I recall, you can not reserve a slip - first come first serve - But if you have a slip at the Inn for the first night, just keep an eye on the city slips and as soon as someone departs, zip over and take it? Or if you have a dingy, anchor in the basin, you won’t be the only one.

i should also mention Harbor North, right at the mouth of the elk - maybe 3 miles from the basin. It’s more of a boat yard than a marina. you will not be living in luxury there, and getting in or out at low tide may be a problem for you. And you really get rocked in the slips from passing boat traffic. But it’s close. You could probably get an uber or taxi over to Chesapeake city, and they do have a restaraunt / bar on premise; at least they did last time I was there.
Thanks Alk - the city dock was definitely an option.

rock hall to cape may - that‘s a bit of a haul for a bad DE bay day! I was on Worton creek last weekend, so you cruised right past me. Glad you had a nice trip.

Back