Weekend Destination

Anchor Management

RO Number
My wife and I take a trips to New England for a long weekend in early October and leave the boat behind. Have done York, Nantucket, Newport, Kennebunkport and a couple others that I cant remember. I'm looking for some suggestions for this year. We usually stay in Bed & Breakfasts on or close to water. Love NE type small towns with local shopping and restaurants. Any suggestions? Thanks.

For small towns - Essex, Mystic, Stonington, Watch Hill, Jamestown, Block Island...little bigger, Newport, Bristol, Ptown, Portland...

We are thinking of heading back to Newport be car once the boat is out. I know you have been there done that. We may consider some of the other options just to try something different.

Thanks for the suggestions. We really like the Maine area but not locked into it. No boating stuff on this trip. It's a quiet anniversary trip.

Here's an idea, check into one of several B&B's in Freeport, Maine. Very New England, little shops and restaurants plus LL Bean if you like that.

I've done the Annapolis show and it was a fun trip, but, once you've done the Miami show your ruined for life :) i still go to the Newport show every year though

Block Island is my vote. Would be very quiet but beautiful that time of year. You could stay in a place for half the cost of season prices.

You have't seen New England until you visit Salem, MA in October. Running up the coast are great stopovers: Newburyport, Portsmith, Portland, Boothbay, Camden/Rockland.

Head inland to Stockbridge/Leonix/Lee, MA in the Berkshires (Rockwell Museum and Toy Museum in Pittsfield); White River Junction, VT, Quiche or north of Montpelier.

Gene

quote:

Originally posted by TimHenn

Here's an idea, check into one of several B&B's in Freeport, Maine. Very New England, little shops and restaurants plus LL Bean if you like that.

I've done the Annapolis show and it was a fun trip, but, once you've done the Miami show your ruined for life :) i still go to the Newport show every year though

Tim,
Just curious, never did Miami, but did the Fort Lauderdale boat show, is Miami that much better??

Walter

quote:

Originally posted by walterv

quote:

Originally posted by TimHenn

Tim,
Just curious, never did Miami, but did the Fort Lauderdale boat show, is Miami that much better??

Walter

Hi Walter,
I've never done the Fort Lauderdale boat show - whether the Miami show is better or not depends on what you're looking for. Its just so BIG! Three areas, boats of every size and a collection of boat vendors that you can wander through for an entire day.

Miami has less boats, more vendors than FTL show.

Both are excellent shows.

This was about New England and we ended up in Miami!!!

I second Boothbay Harbor, stayed in a B&B there.
Go all the way up to Acadia.

Vermont is nice, check out Ludlow.

Also closer to home we have the Mystic.

For me, I want to get back to Niagra Falls, haven't been there since a little kid.

Lake George is cool too. Plenty to do in your own backyard!

Thanks all. I'm researching all that was mentioned. Have done Block and Mystic many times via boat so going to stick to the Maine area. Another place mentioned was the Beachmere in Ogunquit. Any feedback on tha place? I have been in that area previously and is very nice and we usually go to the Ogunquit Playhouse. Checked the calendar and Saturday Nite Fever, the Musical is playing there so that could be a problem. Even if I went, no way would I admit to it.

If you want to have some fun hit the Blues Fest in Rockland. If you can stay on your boat, all the better. Lobster Fest for the family.

Back