What should I look for in a 36 Gulfstar

Billylll

RO Number
I'm seriously looking at a 1976 36 Gulfstar trawler with a pair of Perkins 85hp diesels and a WB 8kw diesel genset. Other than the obvious engine survey and oil samples what about the hull, stringers, fuel tank, the keel etc? Any know issues with these vessels?
The decks seem solid same with the hull.
Thanks,
Bill

Make sure it has holding tank or room for one.
Gulf start built good boats but unless that one had extra ordinary upgrades it will be expensive to bring it up to modern not even Bill standards.
Lots of old wood will be the look.

My brother had the 40-41 trawler with a single Lehman in it. Basically the same boat just a few feet larger. He spent a bunch of money having the bottom redone.

The other brands are out of my price range, I have been looking at similar sized trawlers for the last 2 years Dan.
I know you get what you pay for. I am moving forward with a survey based on the results either I walk away or go to the next step sea trials.
The vessel has plenty of ER room. Kurt Mixman and I have been inside the vessel and in the ER. It has a holding tank but I would be upgrading it from 20 gallons to 50 and installing my Hold-N-Treat PuraSan system.
I don't want to divulge many details about the vessel other than to say it has potential. The hull when tapped seems solid but that's why I'm hiring a surveyor to make sure there are no serious hull or deck issues. The decks also felt solid and the tapping tests sounded good to my untrained ears.
Bill

quote:

Originally posted by pdecat

Make sure it has holding tank or room for one.
Gulf start built good boats but unless that one had extra ordinary upgrades it will be expensive to bring it up to modern not even Bill standards.
Lots of old wood will be the look.

Hardly any outside wood. The decks have no teak on them they are fiberglass. There is wood all over the interior but other than one spot near a window there appears to be little if any water intrusion into the insides.
The window frames are all Aluminum not teak this is a big plus for me.
Wiring this vessel looks like a piece of cake compared to my Mainship. There is also copious amounts of room below the salon floor for the water maker, an inverter and a large house battery bank.
Bill

Take a good look at the condition of the wiring, thru hulls, steering gear, air conditioning equipment and any systems added on or reworked after the boat left the factory. Especially if the owner did the work themselves.

http://www.gulfstarownersclub.com

quote:

Originally posted by BillylllThere is also copious amounts of room below the salon floor for the water maker, an inverter and a large house battery bank.

As soon as I took a look down there I knew you'd be pleased with the amount of space. Even with that generator and the twins, there's all kinds of room. If the hull and the engines check out, it's a pretty decent deal as the cosmetic work needed isn't really all that much (although I think I'd pay somebody to wet-sand it back to shiny :)

quote:

Originally posted by Capt. Bill1

I don't know what you budget is but this might be worth a look: http://www.trawlerpooh.blogspot.com/

Bill CalTexFla George sent me a link to that fine vessel. It's way out of what I want to spend on a boat. It's also too large I'm looking to downsize.
As far as the wiring I already plan on rewiring the DC I have all the spare parts, lugs, fuse blocks, NMEA2000 and network cable. I have to admit the wiring I saw looked good.
Same with the rear head I'll be installing new hoses, and upgrading the holding tank and adding a waste treatment system.
Keep in mind I have so many spares from Wireless One and a few I'm removing other than my labor it's money I have already spent.
There are very few systems on this boat the couple that own's it is in there 80's and they can no longer use her due to health issues.
I'll update everyone after I get the initial survey results.
Bill

quote:

Originally posted by mixman

quote:

Originally posted by BillylllThere is also copious amounts of room below the salon floor for the water maker, an inverter and a large house battery bank.

As soon as I took a look down there I knew you'd be pleased with the amount of space. Even with that generator and the twins, there's all kinds of room. If the hull and the engines check out, it's a pretty decent deal as the cosmetic work needed isn't really all that much (although I think I'd pay somebody to wet-sand it back to shiny :)

I grabbed a card from 2 detail guys that were working on other vessels at the yard. I agree she needs a good cleaning but there doesn't appear to be any Gelcoat that's been over wheeled or burned. It's also not chalky. I saw no crazing which surprised me with my Mainship I have always had to deal with crazing.
Bill

Those hulls were bullet proof. Solid thick glass way over built by today's standards.

Capt Bill that nice LRC trawler is also on the Cruisers Forum. I don't spend much time there but he has it listed for sale there as well.
Bill

Have you investigated the part availability for those engines??

quote:

Originally posted by pdecat

Have you investigated the part availability for those engines??

Yes I also have a friend who works for Giles and Ransom he tells me he can get me anything needed.
I also know the known flaws or issues. These engines are pristine looking Kurt and I only noticed one very small fresh oil mark under one engine.
I will be having a diesel mechanic go over the engines as part of the survey. I need the general survey to pass before I pay for a trained marine diesel tech to give me his opinion/
I can get fully rebuild engines (including accessories) with 2 year warranty for less than what I paid for one of my Merc 8.1L HO's in 2007.
Bill

Bill, This vessel would be a good candidate to do comprehensive thermal image testing on. In a vessel of this age there is so much to consider. The ABYC standards have changed so much since the production of this vessel. Wiring would be a big factor to consider. Like you stated the engines,drive and the generator would require fluid testing and the machinery would need to be tested under load conditions as well. Please feel free to give me a call if you would like to discuses further.

Just be aware that spending money on fluid testing can be pretty meaningless unless you have a detailed history of the fluids and pervious fluid tests to use for comparisons.

quote:

Originally posted by Capt. Bill1

Just be aware that spending money on fluid testing can be pretty meaningless unless you have a detailed history of the fluids and pervious fluid tests to use for comparisons.

I am aware of that Bill. I'll go with the Perkins certified diesel tech suggestions.
1st step is getting the contract signed and then the initial survey.
This one is going to be done one step at a time and I'm not rushing the process.
Thanks,
Bill

I made an offer on the 36 Gulfstar today based on the outcome of the survey and sea trial. Once it's accepted I'll be more forthcoming about the details.
Bill

Back