What to pay for.

Anchor Management

Friend is negotiating on a boat and it is time for survey. There is about $1,500 worth of commissioning due on boat for seals and fluid etc. Owner wants buyer to pay for this and will take off price if he buys. Should buyer pay for this if it fails survey? Owner says the only reason it is going in water is for sea trial.

sugilbert

My non-legal mind says that the owner should not only pay, but have repairs done, before any sea trial. How else is he/she going to sell the boat?

walterv

Hank,
So a guy is looking to sell a boat that has known problems and wants the buyer to pay for such problems so the buyer can do a survey? That is crazy! If the seller does this enough times with different potential buyers all would pay for the repairs needed. The seller, is pretty smart IMHO, but the buyer would be pretty dumb to agree.

In other words, the potential buyer agrees to these terms, pays for the "repairs" as well as the survey. Surveyor finds other problems, seller says no, you fix that. Buyer walks away and new potential buyer has a new list to pay, prior to launching the boat for the next potential buyer.

Sounds like a great way to get everything fixed on a boat prior to sale.

PS,
I know what you told your friend! LOL

Anchor Management

Walter-yes, you know what I told him. Haha. The only difference here is the boat has been on the hard for at least a year and the guy was not commissioning the boat this year so he cut the wrap for the potential buyer and if he does not take it he will be re wrapping and winterizing. And yes, I agree that's tough sh$$. That's the cost of selling a boat. Buyer responsibility should be survey and short haul. Not sure what you guys get out there but it can cost around $500 up here.

Al_Prisco

The only responsibility the buyer should have is to put the vessel back into its present state after the survey. If the vessel is winterized and blocked on the hard it would have to be that way again if the buyer walks away. Now if the vessel was miss represented in its condition prior to the survey that can also change things!

Anchor Management

Interesting. So even though he is paying for the wrong thing, he is getting away cheap since it was winterized and wrapped