Winterizing diesels ??

TJM

RO Number
Hello:
I am a new owner of a 1982 President with Ford Lehman 120Вґs.
I am a live aboard in southern New England (Ct to be exact). I have always done my own Gas engine work and winterizing so this is a new challenge for me.
I am looking for engine room heater options. I plan on keeping the temp above freezing (45В° - 50В° F) due to my water supply etc....

Do the heaters need to be ABYC approved and ignition protected seeing as though I have diesels ?
Someone told me just to use the ceramic or SS radiant heaters wired through a thermostat ?
The boatsafe or extreme heaters will be close to $500.

When we lived on the boat in the Fall into the Winter we used the oil filled electric heaters. One in the bilge and others as required for a total of three. You will want to close up the engine room air vents with plastic wrapped fiberglass insulation. One issue you will be fighting is condensation. A dehumidifier might be a good idea and they will add a little heat. If your engine room is under the salon floor you will appreciate having the heater keep the floor warm.
However, if you keep flammables aboard, get rid of them. Make sure your power cords and their connectors are clean and corrosion free. I have seen people fry their connectors into the boat and at the pedestal so check your electrical connections frequently. To be safe I am thinking you need at least two 30a cords into the boat, and you had better be able to spread the load adequately so as to avoid heating up one line excessively.
In other words, if you have a stove on the same line as the heaters you are asking for trouble.

I don't know if you will get a "hard freeze" or not but you should be ready for one with a pick axe and shovel to bust up ice around the boat.

If your not going to run them I would run the pink through them. What happens if the power goes out for an extended time. Diesels are expensive.

What John said, 6 - 10 gallons of pink is a lot cheaper than new engines.

Just shut the seacock, open the strainer top, have someone start the engine and pour pink in until it comes out the exhaust and you're done.

The Lehmans probably need 3 gallons each. I would run pink in the motors and do what Boatbum suggests.

I definitely planned on winterizing the engines with the pink AF. My question is more about the types of heaters that will keep the engine room (fresh water tanks, hot water heater and sump pumps)from freezing. The engine room is below the salon floor so I will gain from the floor heat.
Good tip on the current dissipation across the shore power cords and breakers. Yes, I have two 30 amp cords.

quote:

Originally posted by TJM

The boatsafe or extreme heaters will be close to $500.

Boatsafe - eh.

Xtreme - good stuff (I've got 2 of them).

You only need to have ABYC/USCG approved engine room/bilge heaters if you have an insurance claim! I know plenty of people who go the cheap route, but I also know somebody who had a fire. He was told by the adjuster that since his oil-filled heater was found unplugged by the diver, he was good. But if it would have been plugged in it would have been a different story.

Back