Yamaha 130 hp 2 stroke bogging and stuttering

Brian N

Administrator
Staff member
A little help would be appreciated here folks...

1997 Yamaha 130hp Saltwater Series 2 stroke

Took it out today for the first time for the season, between work and rain it's been a rough summer.

Fired right up, let it warm up for a while idling away from the ramp, then throttled up. It revved up to about 2400 RPM then bogged down... Two more times I throttled down and back up until finally is pushed through and got up to speed. We ran around the lake for a while with no trouble, idling down for slow zones and then revving back up with no trouble.

Later, heading back to the ramp, it did the same thing, but no matter what I did it would not push past 2200-2400. I popped it into Neutral and was able to rev it right up with no problem, but put it back into gear and it bogs. As I idled back to the ramp it also started stuttering every few seconds at idle, or maybe more like a stumble?

Where do I start troubleshooting? Are these likely related?

sugilbert

Fresh gas? Water in gas? All gas fittings & hoses tight & leak free? Spark plug(s) clean & gapped correctly? Fuel filter &/or carb dirty?

PascalG

Sounds like a fuel issue getting worst. How old is the gas? Fresh filters? I d start with a fresh clean 5 gallon tank and clean filters. Then clean the carbs...

If it was ignition. I don’t think it would have fired right away.

November Charlie

I have no idea if this is applicable to that year range of SS2’s, but my newer Yamaha F40 (4 stroke) did the exact same thing, and it was because they used such tiny jets to achieve admittedly incredible fuel efficiency that they’d clog if you sneezed while looking at the carbs. Also the accelerator pump (I forget what Yamaha calls it - little dash pot below the carbs) was sticking. Had to clean that up, and really, REALLY clean the carbs. I also overjetted them while I was at it because I didn’t want to do it again. That triple stack required rocket surgery to disassemble and reassemble. Link and sync was surprisingly easy afterwards, though.

November Charlie

But as to likely related - yes, the problems you’re having are all signs of low or mid circuit in the carb(s) not working right. Pull the jets and I’d bet you’ll see at least one mostly obstructed.

Brian N

Administrator
Staff member
About a quarter tank of gas from last season, but I topped off with 10 gallons of fresh gas on the way to the lake. I usually keep the tank about half full through the season so save weight.

Fresh spark plugs toward the end of last season, but I have a spare set so I'll change them out to see if it helps.

Fresh fuel filter last season, but I just ordered a replacement.

PascalG

Year old gas and fikter? Even mixed with fresh... any additives? I hope it was ethanol free

PascalG

Well here is your sign. Sorry. Here is your problem. :). You re going to have to drain the tank, flush the lines, change the filters and clean the carbs.

Brian N

Administrator
Staff member
Nice! I have always wanted my own sign! ;)

Not unusual to have some gas in the tank over the winter up here...I'll change out the filters and go from there. Now that I think about it, I had a good local mechanic winterize it, I'll have to ask him if he put anything in the tank.

Golfman25

Nice! I have always wanted my own sign! ;)

Not unusual to have some gas in the tank over the winter up here...I'll change out the filters and go from there. Now that I think about it, I had a good local mechanic winterize it, I'll have to ask him if he put anything in the tank.
Yeah, us northerners can get away with gas from last season as long as it's treated. Been doing it for years.