2000 Searay 350 merc

marincicm

exMember
RO Number
I have a 2000 searay, with 350 merc and after I run it for 30 minutes or more it will vapor lock in the fuel filter and I have to remove the filter and fill it with fuel before it will start. Does anyone have a fix for this

You might get more of a response on this in the Engines forum, would you like me to move it there?

I haven’t had to deal with a gasser in over 20 years but I don’t quite see how you could get vapor lock while running. Or are you talking about having issues restarting.

have you checked your vent? If clogged, the tank could be under a vacuum after 30 minutes running. Any issue with fuel spitting out when fueling?

personally I would be VERY careful having to undo the fuel filter and manually filling it with a hot engine... make sure you run the blowers let the fumes dissipate

When you say vapor lock, are you shutting the engine down after 30min of running and then it will not restart? Or is it shutting down after 30min running?
Vapor lock happens when after shutdown fuel in the fuel lines continues to heat up and vaporizes - the fuel pump can't pump vapor so it won't start until it cools and the vaporized fuel returns to a liquid.

If it is just stalling like it ran out of fuel, that is not vapor lock, it's something in the fuel system - lines, fittings, pickup has a restriction or a loose connection is sucking air into the system - basically you are running out of fuel.

This is a carb engine, with electric fuel pump? with the canister fuel/water separating filter? How hot is the filter after you shut the motor off? How about the intake manifold, and carb?

On my 454 I’m pretty sure there is a heat shield between the filter and the motor, but looking at a 350 parts diagram, not seeing one there. you aren’t using high ethanol (15%) fuel, are you? I believe that boils at a lower temp.

Thanks for the replys. What I have is a 5.0 305 CD

Thanks for the replys. What I have is a 5.0 305CID. This will run fine while just cruising along. After slowing down and running at slow speed for a few minutes it will quit and that is when I have to remove the fuel filter and refill it. By the way I do leave the blower on. The filter is not hot to the touch. I have checked all the lines and everything it tight. Thanks

What year is it? I have a 2001 crusader which has two fuel pumps. Perhaps you have the same? There is a low pressure pump that delivers fuel to the high pressure fuel pump which has a canister. If I removed the canister, filled it manually, I was able to run for about 15 minutes. When you turn the key to start, the low pressure fuel pump should fill the cannister. With the cannister empty, turn the key, remove cannister and it should be filled up. If not, try tapping the low pressure fuel pump, I was able to do that to get it to run.....then I replaced it.

How's it going? Based in the fact this is a 2000, I assume it is fuel injected....does it have two fuel pumps? If so, you might have the same issue I had....let us know.

Back