8v genny output

erice

Member
Member
Joined
Jan 4, 2012
RO Number
32840
Messages
84
Northern lights4.5kw genny, has worked fine last 3 years, used last week, all ok. Started genny, it only put out 8 volts. Can't see anything obvious, where do I start?
 
First, check to make sure your meter is good by checking on a known good outlet. This insures that the meter is working properly. Next, I am assuming that you checked from hot to neutral. Check again hot to neutral, hot to ground, hot to frame of gen, neutral to ground, neutral to frame of genny. What your doing here is checking to see if you have lost a wire. Check all fuses and breakers to make sure they are good. Follow the wires comming from the gens head to thier first termination point, you will be able to determin which are hot and neutral, carefully, with gen running, test voltage at this point which should be at a fuse or breaker, if you still have 8v, then you have likely lost a brush or winding. If you have 120, then you probably have a broke wire, damaged breaker or plug, or some other component that has failed..........D........
 
i dont know how your northern lights genny works on my kohler 4.5 k there was a low voltage winding which excited the high voltage winding to produce 120 volt a quick searc on internet it seems your generator is similar to mine 2
4cz that its brushless and and has a rotaing rectifer board low volts like that meant either capacitor or winding in armature or rotor bad You really need service manual usually thee is some type of flow diagram and step needed to perform to diagnose problem
 
What model and age? NL makes gas and diesel generators with and without brushes.
 
Model m643, 4.5 kW, 1800 rpm diesel powered about 24 years old & 800 hours. It does have brushes
 
Have you performed the tests I requested in my original post? Please post the results so I can guide you to the next step. I already knew you had a brush type........D........
 
I don't have a genset but I have friends that have them and every one came with an owners manual and troubleshooting guide. That guide should hepl you find the problem.
 
Back
Top