Any Alpha One Experts out There ?

dinows

Member
Joined
Feb 28, 2002
RO Number
7679
Messages
216
Well I was in the harbor today going very slow and hit reverse then went to go in forward and NO forward, only reverse. Neutral is fine but weather I put it in forward or reverse it goes into reverse. Had a great time going in reverse 2 miles back to the slip in reverse with a stiff current. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks Deano
 
First see if you have forward gear. Remove lower shift cable and **** by hand and turn prop by hand and see if you can get the prop to lock in both directions. Hopefully the gears are good.
 
I can't tell you what's the matter with your outdrive or shifting controls, but two miles in reverse? Why not call your tow company for a free tow back to your slip?

Unless the problem is in the shifter, yes, you have to pull the boat out of the water.
 
Is everything still connected at the end of the cable?
I had the same thing happen to me once. Was making a turn in a canal. Had one motor in reverse. Couldn't get it out of reverse. Pulled the hatch and found that the clevis pin that held the shift cable in place was missing. I manually shifted it in to forward with an old bolt I had in my toolbox and got back to the dock.
Went back the next morning in good light and found the clevis pin laying on the intake manifold. The cotter pin that keeps it in place had fallen out and let it back out and fall on the manifold.
Put it back in place and installed a new stainless steel manifold and I was back in business.
 
I watched a guy at the boat ramp the other day. Every time he wanted to shift, his buddy had to lift the engine cover and shift for him. It was a circus! He hit the dock a few times.
 
I cant tell if everything is connected, I do see that the cables are moving back and forth when I shift from forward to reverse. There was no grinding and boat was shifting like a top. It is almost like something just came disconnected. What does baffel me is the fact that it stays in reverse no matter which position the shifter is in
 
You have a upper shift cable that goes from shifter to engine area, and a lower shift cable that goes from the engine area into the outdrive.

Disconnect the lower shift cable and see if you can shift it by hand. Reach down and turn the prop. It should lock in one direction in F and the opposite direction in R.
 
Looks like I typed sh*t instead of shift.

Reading JVM's reply, sounds like he figured out the problem. Your anchor point for the cable lost the cotter pin and slipped out.

Slide the barrel back in it's slot and put in a cotter pin.
 
Back
Top