Any Old " WOOD BOATERS" Left out there ?

Yzer, that's not 5200. To bed the planks and frames we used a white lead paste made by George Kirby, Jr. Paint Co. We only use 5200 to glue the soles back on Top-Siders after a major blow out.
 
Ah, I thought you had a 5200 hull going on there (I'd hate to try to remove that much surplus 5200 LOL). The lead paste is good stuff I've heard. I may need to use it eventually.

And dang, what a beautiful boat you've got.
 
Not to hijack the thread, but, what Yzer said +1. Gorgeous boat. Would like to see more photos of her, inside and out.

Bob
 
Thanks for that info just went to Jamestown and checked it all out. And it WILL be ordered like I mentioned before I want to have everything I need to do everything I have to do to finish that bottom in one trip up being it is A 5 hour drive to my boat and there is no oh crap I forgot that. I need to pack as much work into A weekend as I can and work the heck out of my buddies that are going up with me. Nice work beautiful boat I might add...
 
OK,, Now I know I was told that I cannot start my engines for 3 days after I splash my woodie and I was told this was because it slowed the swelling process and she needs to settle back into shape. That said, I am pre-swelling for 2 days then putting her in and pulling her over to A stand by dock next to the launch to letter swell for another day of two just in case there is A problem we can puller out if need be now the question is can I start up A day early or should I still wait the 3 days there is nothing to tow her to my slip and shes too darn big to puller over by hand. I talked to the marina today and he told me she has been out for A year and A half. And input on this unfortunately I'm kinda tight with time on the put in date.
 
The three days in the water is to allow the boat to regain shape. Otherwise, running under power could place unnecessary stress on the inboard engines, prop shafts, cutless bearings and struts.

A skilled man on a small boat or even an inflatable boat with a 10HP outboard can tow your boat to the slip if there isn't current or wind to contend with. Don't tow the boat until you are certain that leakage can be controlled by your bilge pumps for the trip. Maybe someone at the boatyard or marina could help you out. One guy on the tow boat, one on your boat to throw lines, a guy or two on the dock.
 
What Yzer said, plus be the last boat in for the day and stay in the travel lift slip over night (you may want to keep the travel lift over you with the belts slack just incase) and move out the next day if all is well. You can also run water sprinklers under the boat for few days before to jump start the process. Purchase a 120 volt A.C. sump pump to supplement your on board pumps.
 
I like the sprinkler idea we were just going to put A garden hose in and turn it on and off as it filled up then turn it off and let the pumps take it out so on and so fourth, I was also planning on putting in new pumps just to be safe I am thinking at least 3 rules and A very loud high water alarm. I got one of those obnoxiously loud red old school fire alarm bells out of,well A school I worked at replacing the fire alarm system and I want to use it as A high water level alarm you should be able to hear that thing anywhere in the marina.
 
WELL,, I got A survey set up for Feb. I checked out several guys on the boat surveyor.org web site that S.A.M.S has before I found this guy. The price wasn't the only reason I went with him, he was the only guy that I seemed to be able to talk to he listened to what I had planned and gave suggestions. We talked for the better part of an hour and seemed to almost want the business unlike the others. And at the end he said he would work with me on the price which was $18.00/ft, and told me that he would go $16.00/ft for me not much but it was enough to impress me enough that I went with him. WISH ME LUCK on this one Im hoping for A good one here.
 
Hey Jimmy,
We're anxious to hear what's going on. Have the survey yet?
 
Well,
Here it is I got laid off we got hit with A crap load of snow and cant move anywhere.
So I'm going to have to wait on the survey because I may loose her. HOWEVER there is some good news, if I can keep her the survey isn't really necessary at this point because I got A hold of the owner that had it before the guy I got her from and he told me there was really nothing to do but pretty work and most of that is done. told me some tricks and tips on how to do some things he wanted to do and even offered to help when he could. I'm just hoping for the best at this point I NEED to get back to work and SOON if I am going to be able to keep her.. thanks all for keeping up my spirits a lot of good guys here and I am grateful to be here in such good company.
 
OK, going to be the devil's advocate here. Very sorry to hear about you job situation. You're soon going to find out that a boat really is a huge hole that we throw money into. An old wooden boat may be a bottomless pit.If your finances won't permit you to restore this vessel as she should be, you may want to think about selling her now so she doesn't sit and deteriorate further. I think you are looking at a huge amount of money to get this boat ready for you and your family to safely use. Often, what initially seems like too good a deal to pass up, isn't what we think once we get into tearing things apart. Good luck with what ever you decide.
 
Well to tell you the truth the devils advocate does not really scare me thanks for that. Moving on I have never been without A job for too long till now but I got one. I put in A call to A friend and hooked me A foreman position with his construction outfit and ITS GAME ON AGAIN !!! I also just talked to the marina owner and he is cool too, he said he knew I wasn't trying to F**K him because I have been burning up his phone to keep him abreast of whats going on at my end here and he said he knew I was committed to this boat from the first time I saw her. He was not worried at all and he has other stuff going on so he really didn't think much of it. IT ALWAYS PAYS TO BE HONEST GUYS.. You know what I mean. I'll keep ya'll posted as things develop thank for the tips and encouragement.
 
"IT ALWAYS PAYS TO BE HONEST GUYS" as well as making it much easier to remember things as one gets older.

My Admiral was in Harrisburg that week...The snow drifts covered the first floor windows of the hotel as well as the office where she was working. She took some amazing pictures with her cell phone. There was a great thread in NBR with info and pictures contributed by the many RO’s as they were affected in real time by that particular weather event. (Blizzard).

She asked her boss if her next assignment could be somewhere in the Sahara, but it looks like Seattle.

As Bruce said, great news on the job. I am looking forward to future updates as well as learning from your thread! You are getting excellent, real world experience and help from the good hearted RO’s here. It IS a great place…..

Stan
 
Yeah,
We got blasted pretty good here too Stan. I'm in Bangor about 1 1/2 to 2 hours north east of Harrisburg. We had to call the boys down to the firehouse to shovel the roof off cuz it was starting to cave in A bit in some places. We were there till after midnight doing that after I did my own sidewalk 3 times and that is 6' by 50'. Then I shoveled my walk again the next morning, I could hardly pick up the shovel when I got done with it all and just laid on the couch like A slug the whole next day drinking beer to help with the pain,,, which I of coarse had the wife fetch for me,,shes the best.
 
quote:

Originally posted by cwms

Hey Jimmy,
We're anxious to hear what's going on. Have the survey yet?





Well Y'all,
Just got back from 3 days on the boat I will tell you I had my fingers hands face and head in some places most would never put them. went over all the systems checked out everything there, pulled some fasteners opened every hatch I could find and then some looked at all the ribs real good (NONE BROKEN)thank god. Got down in the ER and crawled all over down there, put my hand in A pile of condoms unknowingly and freaked out A bit still kinda pissed about it. Counted up what I need to refasten her up to the 15th aft rib going forward below the water line not bad only 1700 screws the ones I pulled weren't bad came out easily ((SO FAR)). Here are the pictures I remembered to take with my phone, I forgot my camera but the wife and I are going back up for A week on the 21st I will take it then and snap A bunch for ya then sorry. I also went over everything above the water line too there is some rot here and there but nothing serious I cant fix easily, I did find that the fuel lines are getting brittle and the port vent line is broken and lying on the top of the tank I have decided to replace ALL of them just to be safe no big deal there over all she is good.Oh and I also found I have 2 auto pilots one is an Autohelm 5000 and the one I just found is A Loran C Micrologic Explorer,, any comments, are they good or crap opinions welcome here. I think she was well taken care of by the shape she is in. Anyway, here are the pictures for your enjoyment and comment sorry there are only 2 for right now...

I found that all the emblems are present and in decent shape.

cid__0307101134.jpg


Here are the screws I pulled, any comment on my decision on refastening?

cid__0307101230.jpg
 
I had an old Woody once but after four hours I called my doctor.
They look great but much to much work for me. I give you guys a lot of credit for what you do. It would be a shame to let those boats sit and rot without the attention you guys give them.
 
I'm pleasantly surprised how good a condition those screws are in. Maybe a previous owner did a re-fasten 10-15 years ago.
Where did you pull them from? The worse ones on my boat were the ones closest to the keel (and deepest in the water).
Are you still having a surveyor look at it? If you want insurance, and I'm sure you do, a survey is a must.
 
Lets see $3500 for boat $800 for survey $10,000 for materials, 3 years labor, ???? yard fees, unknown problems. Final value $8,000/10,000. You better love it. This is NOT a glass boat. When you get done you start over. TAKE YOUR HIT AND RUN!!!!

60 years of boating here. Wood, steel, fiberglass, aluminum. First boat was a freezer liner. 3 Chris Crafts and an Owens before I learned my lesson.

A planked Pacemaker is the ultimate in required maintenance. Especially if you have to pull them every winter.
 
Back
Top