Awlgrip job coming

Ductboy

Member
exMember
Joined
Oct 18, 2003
RO Number
12348
Messages
502
I finally got numbers back and have decided to go ahead with having my hull repainted in April. I have been to the yard where the work is to be done and saw several examples of the their work and have been impressed.

The yard has just completed a boat just like mine and is starting another that is a warranty job for the factory on a 1996 model (bad gelcoat crazing).

I have been given a choice of several option that I would love some opinons on.

The base job entails preping the boat, filling a few nicks and spider cracks, removing hardware, sanding, priming, and painting, then rebedding and replacing hardware.

The first 'option' would be to have the boat prepped with a high build primer (Awlgrip 545) to hide any possible pinholes that may show through. My understanding is that these are more prevalent on older boats.

My second option is to go with a differnt Awgrip product that thaen gets sanded and two coats of clear are applied. this is evidentally a harder finish, but is also harder to fix if you get a scuff.

Both options cobined just about soduble the price of the job. At this point I have pretty much decided to go with the base job, but would love some input.

Dan
 
Back
Top