Bahamas in a 23’ CC?

Bruce Herrington

RO Number
Anyone ever make a Bimini trip in a CC w/single OB from FL? It's an offshore model with plenty of freeboard, cruises around 26-28 knots.

Thanks.

A lawyer I knew in the 70s did it with 2 cases or beer for flotation, 16' trihull.

Depends on the time of the year. In winter the weather windows are shorter so even if you get good conditions going over you may have to wait to get back. Problem are the fronts locking up the stream with northerly winds. In winter they come thru every week or so, usually causing 3 to 5 days of rough water.

best time with a small boat is may - July.

When Walker's Cay reopens I'd find a way to do it. I expect that place to be mobbed given the effort being spent on it.

We've seen a number of CCs going across over the years. As Pascal says, choose your weather. Wear PLBs. The last time I checked with BoatUS on ensuring a CC they wanted twins on the back if going to the Bahamas/Abacos.

To be honest Bimini is not that great anymore. It has been destroyed by Resort World Bimini Bay which has bulldozed and concreted over the northern half of the island. Alicia town is a dirty and dusty shadow of itself. Even Honeynoon Harbor isn’t as nice as it was since storms cut thru the beach about 15 years ago.

Walker Bay, whenever that s finished, is about 100nm from PB and 140 from Miami. It s a long run for what is pretty much a single destination. Personally I think the Berries make more sense, same distance (actually closer to Miami/FTL) and a lot more to enjoy. Great Harbor Cay is a great settlement, with many anchorages nearby, all the down to Chub.

Btw Chub has been rebuilt and as become a very nice place. We ve stopped twice in the last few months to clear customs. The marina and resort is one of the nicest in the Bahamas.

To be honest Bimini is not that great anymore. It has been destroyed by Resort World Bimini Bay which has bulldozed and concreted over the northern half of the island. Alicia town is a dirty and dusty shadow of itself. Even Honeynoon Harbor isn’t as nice as it was since storms cut thru the beach about 15 years ago.

Walker Bay, whenever that s finished, is about 100nm from PB and 140 from Miami. It s a long run for what is pretty much a single destination. Personally I think the Berries make more sense, same distance (actually closer to Miami/FTL) and a lot more to enjoy. Great Harbor Cay is a great settlement, with many anchorages nearby, all the down to Chub.

Btw Chub has been rebuilt and as become a very nice place. We ve stopped twice in the last few months to clear customs. The marina and resort is one of the nicest in the Bahamas.
Never considered the Berries. Thanks, Pascal.

The berries are more family island than Bimini has become. Great Harbor Cay at the north end of the berries is a small settlement with a nice marina, very protected. There are beautiful beaches on the ocean side just a short golf cart ride away.

further south there are a few nice anchorages with sandbar and beaches incl White Cay and Hoffman which has a blue hole in the island

then at the south end of the berries before reaching chub, you have Bird and Whale with interesting ruins and many great beaches and sandbars.

Altogether a nice area perfect for a 5 to 7 days trip from south Florida

I don't think of Walkers Cay as a single destination. When we went there, we island hopped all the way to Hope Town on Elbow Cay. Of course, Dorian has changed the Abacos considerably and the stops we enjoyed so much are no longer there.

I think a number of them are bouncing back. West End, Hope Town Inn and Marina, and Green Turtle. But yes, Seaspray, The Bluff House, Spanish Cay etc all took a beating.

Made the trip to Bimini and Freeport in a single engine 26 Ft CC years ago. Seamed like an easy trip if you use common sense.
Going to Bimini then was an adventure, Not the same today. I would take Pascals advice anytime.

Made the trip to Bimini and Freeport in a single engine 26 Ft CC years ago. Seamed like an easy trip if you use common sense.
Going to Bimini then was an adventure, Not the same today. I would take Pascals advice anytime.

JOE!!!!! Damn man! It's great to see you back on here!

How have you been?

Brian, I am fine, just got older with Been Their, Done that attitude. Thanks for asking.

Back