Both CO detectors chirping every minute or two

ddurand

RO Number
Pulled boat off rack storage and both CO detectors chirping every minute or two.

I assume engine or house battery (not sure which) is discharged.

This is a problem I was worried about rack storage. Unfortunately my boat has not gotten much use and batteries have probably self discharged.

Batteries are flooded.

If wired correctly, turning the battery switch to off would have turned off all battery using items--including CO detectors.

If wired correctly, turning the battery switch to off would have turned off all battery using items--including CO detectors.
My contact at the Chaparral factory said the bilge pumps and CO detectors are always on regardless of battery switches. For safety reasons.

Use AGM batteries. They lose a lot less charge when sitting unused, compared to flooded batts.

My contact at the Chaparral factory said the bilge pumps and CO detectors are always on regardless of battery switches. For safety reasons.
Bilge pumps, yes. They have auto switches. CO detectors, NO! They are always 'detecting' and run down the batteries! Battery switch off means engine(s) off and bo one on board---no need for CO detectors.

I ageee. The detectors should be on the battery switch not always on. There should be breaker anyway to protect the wiring just like there should be a breaker for the always on float switches.

So the question is if my battery (probably house) is now somewhat discharged, how much of that is self discharge vs the two CO detectors?

So the question is if my battery (probably house) is now somewhat discharged, how much of that is self discharge vs the two CO detectors?
Very likely 5% self discharge; 95% CO detectors.

So I was expecting the house battery to be drained but it seems it was the starting battery. Engine would not turn over. I tried to jump it with the NOCO jump pac but that acted funny. Brought battery home to recharge.

I am not sure it's a great idea to go boating with a drained battery after you jumped it. You may not be able to restart the engine if it stalled. Maybe after 30 min to 1 hour of running it would be charged enough to start the engine.

If I had a slip with shore power for the onboard charger this would not be an issue. But with rack storage it is to some extent.

My neighbor borrowed my NOCO jumper and couldn't get it to work until he switched it to its "super" setting. (Can't recall the actual name of the setting but it'll be obvious when you see it.)

Just a guess but after hooking it up he might have not waited for the green light before trying to start. I don’t think manual mode requires a slight wait. Who knows, if his vehicle started then all kis good. Just recharge youe unit and forget about it Would be my course of no action needed.😊

But is it good to leave port with a starting battery that is discharged. Unsure about the house battery.

Pulled boat off rack storage and both CO detectors chirping every minute or two.

I assume engine or house battery (not sure which) is discharged.

This is a problem I was worried about rack storage. Unfortunately my boat has not gotten much use and batteries have probably self discharged.

Batteries are flooded.
How old are the CO detectors? They will have a date code on the back. Could be end of life (EOL) notification typically 5 years or 10 years depending on manufacturer.

Replacing my Exide deep cycle house battery as it got discharged by the CO detectors and now is toast after being recharged (trying to).

The CO monitor on my Tiara was also wired hot from the batteries and stayed on even with switches turned off... So sounds like Tiara was doing it similarly to Chaparral at least back then. It only turned off when batteries were disconnected for storage. On the Tolly I I just put in three new CO detectors with their own internal battery, we'll see if they last the 5 years they're supposed to.

Back