Carburetor problem or something else???

So this is what happened to me with this fuel issue. Had carb rebuilt. The mechanic was id the needle was stuck with gummy residue among other issue. Put carb on this morning tried to start wouldn't keep running. So he pulled off top of carb and showed me inside the gas. It was all cloudy and after a few minutes settled down. Bad gas. I get my fuel from same place all the time. We put the gas in a small vial and it was mostly ethanol. 85% so now what is the responsibility of the marina. A few other people have had the same issue and gas from the same place. At this point I won't say where it is but up in my area of Cedar Point.
 
I don't know if you have separate gas tanks for each engine and can switch over to run on one tank or not.
My former 1986 454 Crusaders were "piped" so that I could run both engines off either tank or both. If you can I would test the system by running both engines off the "good" tank which in this case is the Starboard tank. If the problem persists, it would indicate that the problem is not with the tank, bad fuel, or anti siphon valve but between the crossover valve and through the Carb.
If the problem goes away you might have to dump the fuel in that tank.
 
To test they took a vial and you put some water in it.just small amount then put the gas from the carb and of course the fuel goes to the top and the vial has reading on it. It clearly show the separation in it and the percentages. The crossover I have never used. But if one tank is bad then the other will be as I put fuel in each tank at same time. About 50 in each tank. I would like to post a pic but not sure hoe to
 
I am not sure that if one tank is bad, both are necessarily bad. It is just my suggestion to try which is easy.
My friend had rain water leaking in the fill nozzle of one tank which caused problems on one engine not the other.

In the spring of 2012 I had problems with one engine but not the other and changing all the filters was the fix. The filters on the rough engine looked ugly when opened.

My current boat has throttle body injection and the mfg claims that a y crossover to run on one tank is not allowed by the Coast Guard since the fuel return line still goes to a tank from which no gas is withdrawn and the tank can be overfilled
 
You have a leak in one of your fuel cross over & or shut off valves. Bypass the valve. . . .no valve ? Look for a place where the intake fuel line could be sucking air.
 
I'll just throw this out, check floats for adjustment and when running at rpm's ,if you can check the angle of the carb. Could be an issue of float re-adjustment or getting leveling plates for the carbs. Helped with my problem , maybe something to look at. Good luck
 
If you suspect a fuel problem, disconnect the fuel line from the engine (plug it), then run a fuel hose from the engine into a portable tank filled with fresh clean fuel. You can use a portable tank like you would fill your lawnmower from.
 
Well, problem fixed with simply replacing the fuel filter. Upon further inspection, it was really plugged up when you look up close. We can to the resolution that while I have been adding Sea Foam on every fill up, it is actually working and breaking loose the bad stuff in my tank and the filter is working by catching it. So I am now carrying spare filters just in case.

The comment about the mechanic being bad by replacing all this stuff is a little off. This is my third mechanic trying to determine my issues over the last 3 years. He in fact has got me back up running in under a month compare to the other guys who were just replacing every part they could think of. So all that stuff we have done was prior to this guy, whom I now have the highest trust in.

Thanks for all the pointers. The filters were replaced in the fall before layup, so I did not expect that, but this guy went straight for them and found the issue.
 
Went to marina today and told them what happened. When I got pumped out the kid had lossened the gas fill. I was fueling the port engine the kid pumped me out and rinsed a few time and the water had run into the fuel tank. This is how water got in tank. The marina was willing to take the responsibility. The service manager asked me to try a product K100. He gave me 7 bottles. Put it all in. The engine start sluggishly but ran. After changing fuel filters 5 times the engine ran great. Took the boat out and ran for about an hr. no problems at all.this stuff worked. So much better than getting the tanks drained
 
Back
Top