Carver Mariner Transmission Problem

DesertX

Member
Joined
Sep 23, 2013
RO Number
33456
Messages
3
I am new to the forum and I recently purchased a 2001 Carver 350 Mariner and just had the port transmission fail. It started slipping while underway so we shut it down and brought it back to the slip. There is lots of fluid in the bilge. My mechanic looked at it and said that it looks like the front seal is leaking and he said that it would require removing the engine and transmission to fix it. Anyone have any experience with this tyoe of repair?

It Is a Velvet V-drive coupled to a Volvo Penta engine.
 
If you have enough room in front of the tranny, they should be able to remove it without taking the engine out. If not, they will have to pull the engine to get to it.
 
V drives usually mean there is very little room to separate the transmission from the engine. In my Mainship there is enough room but I have 72C's (straight transmissions) feeding Walter V drives one drive has an idler gear for reverse rotation at the prop. I have about 18" with this configuration. Are you saying the transmission and V drive are one in the same or an all in one unit on this VP setup?
Bill
 
Yes, i believe t hat the Velvet V-drive and transmission are in one unit. So I guess there just isnt enough room to separate them.
 
quote:

Originally posted by DesertX

Yes, i believe t hat the Velvet V-drive and transmission are in one unit. So I guess there just isnt enough room to separate them.





Perhaps if you can get a picture and post it here someone can help make a suggestion to remedy your problem?
Bill
 
A neighboring slip to me had this same boat. I have seen in the engine compartment. Not much room at all. Boat has a small aft deck and that's your access. Pretty sure you couldn't separate in the boat. Would probably have to pull engine/tranny as a whole.
 
I almost purchased the same boat you have with a Cummins diesels. The trannys had water in them (which is why I did not buy it). You have to pull the engine to get to them. I would take an oil sample and have it analyzed. Usually the seal blows because of water intrusion in the transmission. Might want to check the V drives as well. Lots of these boats are partially sunk from storms etc. If the V drives have water, you need to send them to Walter while you have the engines out.
 
Back
Top