I'm looking at a boat with twin DD 8.2 Turbos with 4300 hours. It is documented that she will reach WOT and gets phenomenal economy. However, the owner (personal friend) said he just checked oil and at 50 hours, he has now had to add "2 cups" of oil, not quarts or pints, but cups, on the port engine.
I have been over to boatdiesel to do some reading but have not joined yet. The 8.2 doesn't seem to be a favorite. Is the adding of oil a precursor of something to this particular Detroit? I know at 4300 hours, we are at or near mid-life but she has had good care for 1000 hours. Oil samples show normal wear.
I haven't owned a diesel boat so I have no idea if this is normal or that engine is getting tired.
Thanks
I have been over to boatdiesel to do some reading but have not joined yet. The 8.2 doesn't seem to be a favorite. Is the adding of oil a precursor of something to this particular Detroit? I know at 4300 hours, we are at or near mid-life but she has had good care for 1000 hours. Oil samples show normal wear.
I haven't owned a diesel boat so I have no idea if this is normal or that engine is getting tired.
Thanks