Engine cuts out when shifting to neutral

snazzy

Member
exMember
Joined
Oct 26, 2006
RO Number
24043
Messages
34
I have a 2006 Volvo 8.1 Gi-F with 570 hours I have owned since new. Sometimes when shifting into neutral the engine cuts out. I run the boat several hours at least every other week year round and do not use E-10 gas. Idle RPM is 550-600. Any ideas?
 
probably a sticking shift interrupter switch. It is supposed to shut off the ignition for only a very brief period.
 
Yeah, shifting should be done smoothly and quickly but not jamming it into gear.

Oops, you got Volvo...cone clutch. Check the neutral safety switch in the remote shift. May need cable adjustment to get neutral back in alignment with the neutral detent.
 
"probably a sticking shift interrupter switch. It is supposed to shut off the ignition for only a very brief period."

That was my first impression until I read that is's a Volvo. While I'm not up to speed on the topic, I recall only Merc using an interrupter. Volvo had a cone clutch while Merc was direct gear into gear which would grind if you shifted in slow. Once it was in the torque load would lock it therefore the interrupter to release the load momentarily.

Perhaps later Volvos did away with the cone?
 
Back
Top