Erratic Oil Pressure Indication

Bob Fort

Member
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
RO Number
11130
Messages
10
The oil pressure gauge on my 1998 Glastron Ski & Fish (VP 3.0, GS M) has started jumping around a bit. Normally, it sits steady at 40, but the last several days it spikes to 60 and drops to 20, then back to 40. I check the oil level each time I use the boat and it currently shows Full. I use 30 SAE, Valvoline.

Any thoughts?
 
Try cleaning the connection on the back of the gauge. That might do it.
 
yes look for broken wire or bad connection. if that doesn't work replace the pressure sender
 
I’ve had an oil filter cause this same issue. Replaced the filter with a QUAILITY WIX/Purolator filter and topped off the SAE 30 and the oil pressure was once again steady. Relatively inexpensive repair to see if it works.
 
Is the gauge jumping around quickly...likely to be bad connection.

Slower movement can be anything mechanical like bad oil pump, sticking/clogged pressure relief valve(there are 3 of them) to clogged filter(one of the valves is in the filter)
 
Thanks for the quick responses!! I'll start with the gauge connection cleaning as that seems the easiest, then go from there if needed.

Again, thanks!
 
Back
Top